PDA

View Full Version : Fishing sunglasses

sporty1
17-10-2006, 07:10 AM
Hi Guys
I am looking at buying a pair of wrap around sunnies just for fishing, what would be the best sunnies for mainly saltwater work? is glass the best option for lenses and what colour?. Where is the best place around Brisbane to buy these glasses?

nathan_fishing
17-10-2006, 07:51 AM
i thing spotters are real good but...do not no were to get than in brisbane area
cheezes

nathan

DeeGee
17-10-2006, 11:53 AM
I won't recomend specific brands, but as a general guide, be sure the lenses are polarised, not just tinted. #

The original Polaroid brand has been OK for me, but so have other brands too. #You can pay big money for some of them, but in my experience, #some of the cheaper ones work just as well.

For most fishing & boating I find that a light tan colour is better than any of the darker colours. #They allow better vision into the water, and for me they highlight sand banks and shallow water better too.

Cheers Degee.

Big_Ren
17-10-2006, 01:28 PM
Just bought new Spotters...model Artic.....glass lens, photochromatic (lens darkens in bright sunlight and lightens in darker light). Great for fishing. I believe Bright Eyes stock them, as do Sundown Marine at Redcliffe.

Blackened
17-10-2006, 04:00 PM
G'day
I'll be bias and say spotters. I have the rapids, grey glass lenses and wouldn't go to anyhting else.

You can get these at bright eyes, all the good tackle outlets and sports stores.

There was a good thread on sunnies and spotters in particular just a little while ago, so a search would be worth it.

I think the general feeling was brown lenses for estuary, creek, structure fishing and grey for the blue water stuff.

Glass lenses had a good wrap and I like them for the durability and clarity, but they are quite heavier than the plastic lenses. I solved this problem py putting a lanyard on mine.

Dave

Duyz72
17-10-2006, 04:34 PM
Polarised, 100% UV protection.

And make sure they fit well so they don't fall off as soon as you bend over to pick up something over the boat, but not too tight as to give you some pain, remember you will be wearing them all day.

kirin
17-10-2006, 06:22 PM
Spotters are the way to go, however if you have a budget try some Ugly Fish. Actually picked up some yesterday as a back up for my Spotters. With a flexible frame they actually might get preference to the Spotters this weekend. Try Tackle Warehouse on southside or Jones on the Northside.

Far_Canal
17-10-2006, 06:26 PM
me old man has a pair of cheapies, they are called Mangrove Jack and they are black with thickish sides. polarised for 40 bucks from sunglasses hut or something. i prefer them over my makos, they are great for the money

DazSamFishing
17-10-2006, 06:41 PM
If you wanna save some pennies, just go up to a local servo or supermarket...

I buy cheap $30 sunnies because I tend to lose them or damage them fishing...

Just make sure they are polarised and offer 100% uv protection...

All aussie made sunnies are great... because they all need to comply with aussie conditions

2DKnBJ
17-10-2006, 09:31 PM
Sporty 1

Here is a link too the last thread on this subject

http://www.ausfish.com.au/forum/YaBB.cgi?num=1156244933/0

Cheers Dazza

BrandonH
18-10-2006, 11:41 AM
Watch the mangrove jack ones guys, I have a pair and the paint has started comming off and been a pain in the A$$!! I like the amber colouring sunnings also as this lets in a lot of extra light ;)

My favorite is Mako but they are too dam expencive :'(

Cheers N
Tight Lines

Brandon...

Duyz72
18-10-2006, 01:43 PM
The wife told me that they did a comparison of the expensive Vs el cheapo sunnies on that show "What's good for you"

Although it isn't a rigorous experiement, they reckon there is no difference in UV protection just so long as it meets Aussie Standards and is 100%UV.

I have el cheapo's which certainly aren't going to win me any beauty contests but they are polarised and can cop a flogging.

Fishing_Freddy
18-10-2006, 05:51 PM
I've had a pair of makos for years and can't fault them they have the grey lens and are polarised of coarse. It just depends on your budget and personal prefferance I think.
Ken 8-) 8-) 8-)

Rod_Bender
18-10-2006, 07:55 PM
I've had 2 sets of Mako's and one set of Photochromatic Spotters. Purchased the spotters and got the mako's for free through a mate's optical store. I would never purchased Mako's at the price they normally ask for them. Spotters are about 2-3 years old now and still work wonders spotting fish and bait in the water.

hogesTS
18-10-2006, 08:53 PM
I have a pair of those mangrove jacks, and mine too have the paint peeling off and have a lot of scratches on the lenses from wiping the saltspray off on my shirt. I also find that sometimes after being out on the water for a good few hours my eyes feel sore, so was wondering if the cheap plastic lenses really are that great? I have been looking at getting some spotters, but am not really sure which ones to go for, the ones with the plastic or glass lenses?

Also, the UV ratings on sunnies, i think i read that that only applies to UV-A, not B or C, is this true?

2DKnBJ
18-10-2006, 09:13 PM
Hoges
I will find out some more info on your question tomorrow and let you know

Cheers Dazza

hogesTS
18-10-2006, 10:30 PM
Cheers mate, much appreciated :)

Tony_l
19-10-2006, 09:03 AM
Hi

I have a pair of Bolle nitronia, they wrap around my eyes. I need glasses so had the optomitrist do up a set of polycarbonate lenses that are polarized. Cost about $500 but they have been used almost every day for the last four years and still going strong.

seatime
19-10-2006, 06:43 PM
personally, Spotters get the nod.

boating is my occupation, as part of my job I've been required to stare out at the ocean for hours a day for more than 20 yrs. I've used most brands known to Christendom (yet to try Maui Jim).

Spotters perform as good or better than the others, and IMO grey glass lenses, though heavier, are the better option. They are especially good if you wear them all the time not just fishing, good allrounders.

regards
Steve

bdm56
19-10-2006, 08:10 PM
I also have Mangrove Jacks (from Bright Eyes) and after only a couple of months 1 lens started to get small white bubbles (3 - bout 1mm in diameter). So I took them back to the store. Was told non of the cheaper plastic sunnies will tolerate salt without the surface film peeling off.

Something to think about :)

rando
20-10-2006, 11:57 AM
I had a pair of those cheapies from the servo, "Ariel" brand I think, tough comfortable and cheap( I lose expensive ones) Ive had these for years they are still going strong and despite the fact I am a bit rough on them , no scratches. Brown lens, wrap around, with wide arms . recommended
R

rando
20-10-2006, 11:58 AM
ooops double post

DR
20-10-2006, 12:10 PM
i have makos in the tan lense. polarised & photochromatic, doubt i would buy them again. they replaced some i had for years that had grey photochromatic, polarised which were 100% better than makos, & i can't remember what they were or i would buy again. to me the makos have poor penetration into water & they tend to be ever so slightly blurry to look through when eyes are tired (being really picky here) as i wear mine all day every day for work, only good thing is sunnies are now tax deductable for some of us as safety items..

good thing with the grey photochromatic is that i wear mine when it's raining, even bucketing down, they take all the water shine off everything & make vision a whole lot clearer, not that i have worn them in the recently :P

Tip
20-10-2006, 12:40 PM
I just got a pair of sceats from the Optomertrist with prescription polarised lenses. They are very light and as good as I have used. Cost $300 so you would expect a high standard for that price.

Mick

Steve_Monckton
20-10-2006, 12:52 PM
G'day, For fishing and general use I buy the cancer council wrap arounds model 9616lk from bright eyes.. These are polarised plastic lensed glasses and seem to be quite resiliant to scratching. They are cheap( around $35) and seal the light out effectively. The only problem with them is they don't float. cheers,steve.

manchild
20-10-2006, 08:15 PM
I ordered a blue-v from the racq mag just out of curiosity.Tried them once and i put my spotters down that day.They had it for $50 for members .The best pair of polaroids i owned and they were many and expensive.If ya have a chance try them .
cheers
George

willog
27-10-2006, 01:37 PM
Got to give Maui Jim's a plug.
Onto my second pair - left the first in a cafe- GRRR - after several years of faithful service.
Love them and you won't believe how much they cut out the glare. When you put them on at sea you feel like opening your eyes up wider because it feels so good.
I've had Ray-Bans for years but LJ's are much better IMO.
All sorts of styles and entry pricing isn't cheap - top end is scary!
As for damaging or losing them (like I did) paying several hundred can certainly concentrate your attention on looking after them...

PinHead
27-10-2006, 02:36 PM
I have 2 pairs of MJ's..one pair stays in the car and the other for on the boat..would not consider another brand now..they are awesome.

freddyfish
29-10-2006, 07:34 AM
For cheapies I love my Polaroids

Brad

Ally_Jack
29-10-2006, 07:02 PM
I've had a couple of pairs of Ugly Fish, last pair for about 6 months now, can't fault them. Heaps cheaper than some other brands, so doesn't hurt as much if I lose them over the side

eimeo
30-10-2006, 09:20 AM
I have a pair of mako warriors sunnies with amber lenses -these are fantastic,and extremely comfortable.I have a leash on these after losing my last pair in the first week over the side of the boat ($200 gone-ouch!!).Since putting on a leash I have had these glasses for about 5 years now-replaced 1 lense (i stood on them and cracked one).I would certaainly recommend paying the extra and DEFINATELY put on a leash

Dave

jerryboy
12-11-2006, 04:44 PM
Bit late coming in this one but my two bob's worth is to take a look at Fuglies - wraparound polarised with a strap and they float too. Only $40 so I figured if I lost them over the side it wouldn't matter. They've gone over a couple of times but always managed to get them back again because of the floating. I got them at www.fuglies.com.au.