PDA

View Full Version : Over Runs

webby
23-10-2006, 10:34 PM
I've always enjoyed over runs. That's right-over runs.
Those dirty big screaming birds nests that take hours, and six inches of stainless steel to clean up.
But I love' em. You can just sit there quietly, rip the top off a can or two and fiddle and pick to your little heart's content.
A little pick here, another sip there.
But over runs have to be measured in real terms, by that i mean the number of ccans you can demolish until you finally get it out.
Now over runs can cover the full spectrum, from five minute jobs that can be measured interms of only one can or the career
building blowouts that you take home.
You phone your mates, get them to bring around a dozen and a pizza and play pass-the-spool.
So how do yours rate ;D
regards

rtranter
23-10-2006, 10:38 PM
Tooo easy :) :)
Don't use over heads so therefor I don't have over runs.
I may miss out on the Cans and Pizza, but I save on the Stress and anxiety.
Rob 8-)

Kendall249
23-10-2006, 10:48 PM
The joys of casting large overheads ;D.. not to mention the burnt thumbs.

tunaman
23-10-2006, 11:06 PM
Overheads are the best. But Id like to know how you,ve got the time to call your mates, order a pizza, and a case of beer, while your out fishing.
I think it might be a bit dangerous to master casting in your lounge room. ;D
But your in the right place if you need some help with those nasty bird nests. ;)

signed tunaman

el_carpo
24-10-2006, 02:18 AM
;D I remember the time Dad took us kids out to a lake to practice casting overheads for the first time. There were three of us and we each had our own (his).

"These are a bit trickier than spin cast reels so just cast short distances at first until you get the hang of it," says Dad.

First, was my eldest brother. He casts and----bird nest. Not a bad one but a tangle none the less.

"That's O.K. it happens a lot until you get used to it. Try carefully to get it untangled and DON'T just pull the line."

While the first born was wrestling with his reel, the second one tried it----bird nest.

"O.K. you're lifting your thumb off the spool and losing control. You have to keep a little pressure on. That wasn't too bad but you have to untangle that mess."

My turn. Well, I was the youngest there and therefore suffer from a massive inferiority complex towards my elder brothers. They hit baseballs farther than me, they run faster than me, they're taller, they get to stay up later, they're smarter, and THEY GET TO CAST FIRST! This injustice cannot stand! I'll show 'em! I'll make a perfect cast waaaaaaay out into the middle of the lake! On my first try no less! I'll bet Dad will be impressed!
Jealousy is an ugly thing my friends.--------My reel (which, remember was Dad's reel) didn't just get a bird's nest; "bird's nest" conjures an image of a tiny sparrow or wren nest. That falls far short. The bird that makes a nest the size of the mess on that reel could probably devour a horse. Only the mythical "roc" or "thunderbird" could build such a nest.

"WHAT THE H*** Tom?!!!!!" "What did you do that for?!" "I told you to cast short until you knew how to cast better!" Dad was not impressed. Far from it.

So he starts to try and undo my tangle. Meanwhile, my brothers get their reels clear and are ready to try again. Now, however, they have the same idea that I had. They each wanted to be the "best." My eldest brother tries his luck. Poof! His reel turns into monofilament spaghetti.

"CAST SHORT!!!!!" yells poor Dad. "You're keeping your thumb on the spool right?"

Two exploded reels. One left. My second eldest brother winds up for a cast.

"STOP!" "Make sure you do it like I showed you and cast short." Dad didn't want three of his reels exploded for some reason.

So my brother takes his time, goes through all of the steps Dad told us about and gives it a go. BA-LAMO! Another exploded reel.

"O.K. fellas. That's it for today, I think. Get in the car and we'll go see if I can find any gypsies to sell you to." ;D

Bird nests-------so many fond memories. ;D ;D ;D

EC

krazyfisher
24-10-2006, 06:02 AM
I rate my by the number of times I can swear in 1 min.
just guess how many that was when the spool came off my alvey(I didnt tighten the main nut) and fell into 100ft of water. 600meters of 100lb fireline... just one big ball..

rtranter
24-10-2006, 06:04 AM
yep,
Why go through all that when you can by a perfectly good egg beater or alvey, and they take no time or skill to master.
Rob 8-)

Poodroo
24-10-2006, 06:50 AM
I always hate the poor timing of my bird's nests. They always seem to happen when the fish come on the bite. Probably one of the only times you will hear the definites sheer frustration come out in my voice. :D

Poodroo

Homer_Jay
24-10-2006, 07:17 AM
havent used an overhead yet but it sounds like i am missing out on alot of beer and pizza...... Off to the tackle shop to get one just so i can experience this over run..... anything that ends in me havin a beer or six must be good... ;D ;D ;D

stevedemon
24-10-2006, 08:52 AM
Hi all
guy's ask wombat45 about over runs ;D ;D ;D ;D

no he does not sit there for the time it takes to get out the tangled webb he weaved :-/ :-X :-? :(

but brings out the snippers a cut here, cut there, another cut here and so on ;) >:( ;)

till he still see's no light at the end of the tangled webb apart from the many ends of line with no where to start and no end in sight :'( :'( :'( :-[ :-[ :-[

brings it around to me 8-) ;D ;)

i look and needless to say :o :o :o

i am still placing Sh#t on him today for this mess :P :-* :P

1/2 hr to clean up the ends other 15 mins to remove what line was left on reel 15 mins later new spool of line :-[ :'( :-[

10 mins after all this wombat decided that he wants to swap over head for egg beater no problems ;D 8-) ;D

nowadays i do not call him Denise the Menace or wombat45 or tangles :-? :-? :-?

but plain snippets ;D ;) ;D

what more can i say you have never seen so many ends or beginnings on one reel ::) :P ::)

and not one beer to go down fixing the problem at least i was on dry land :'( :'(

Sorry snippets(wombat45) just could not help myself with this one ::) ;D 8-) :o ::) :P 8-) ;D ;) ;D

Cheers ;D ;D
Steve 8-) 8-)

Big_Ren
24-10-2006, 11:58 AM
Webby

My anxiety to fix the over-run is directly proportionate to what is happening in the water around me. If my buddies are enjoying a hot bite...then down goes the can :o and out comes the six inches of steel :o

Conversely, if all is quiet, I'm happy to imbibe some cool treats for as long as it takes to get the wretched birds nest sorted.

Cheers
Paul

Duyz72
25-10-2006, 04:18 PM
My first crack at overhead bait caster went a little like this. . . .

Age 18, was visiting the Girlfriends family at Home Hill, first time meeting them.
Old man is a gun fisherman, brother is fishing mad too - great I'll fit right in. The girlfriend has talked me up to them how I am a fisherman fanatic etc too, mega keen blah blah blah. All my experience to that date was with eggbeaters and alveys.
So there we are, we have trekked an hour from the beaten track to fish their spot X, all the way keeping a wary eye out for crocs.
I am flicking lures with the egg beater, yup no worries, having a good time.
So the brother offers me a go on his baitcaster - sure no worries I say, not having a bloody clue how I should really be using these things.
But I can set it up to cast out, and away I go.
Lure goes flying, lands in the perfect spot. Zzzzzz zzzz zzzzz
What's that sound? I look down and as the wiggles would say - cold spaghetti cold spaghetti!
The brother is @#)($&!! in as polite a manner as he possibly could.
Now I give credit to him, he kept his cool, apologised to me that he forgot to tell me to thumb the spool to stop such things.
He took it off my hands, gave me back the egg beater and he spent the next hour getting that nest out.
Geez I felt like a total Nong!

nigelr
25-10-2006, 05:23 PM
Overheads are for those who cannot master an Alvey, or a Mitchell/Penn
threadline! :) ;) 8- ::) 8-)
Cheers!

NormC
29-10-2006, 11:46 AM
Nah, the pleasure of nailing a great cast right in the money spot with an overhead is almost as good as catching a fish. I can spend a couple of hours casting and come home happy even if I haven't caught a fish. On the other hand, if I get a bad birds nest (invariable from trying to get just a few more metres out of the cast), I come home bl@@dy cranky; fish or not!!

Most overruns are pretty minor these days and take just a few seconds to clear them, but occasionally they are beauties. All part of the fun.

bidkev
29-10-2006, 12:42 PM
Can't remeber the last time I had a birdy in my ambassadeur 7000's........they're a beautiful reel for casting.

Now the 5600 and 6000 are a whole new ballgame. I've had 'em 3 yrs and still get almighty birdies regularly. Confucious he say, " Birdy tangle messy is directly proportionate to lack of weighty at end of rod" ;D The lighter I fish, the worse the tangle.

Folk often ask why I have 6 rods in the tinny when I'm on my own.........Spares for when one's not worth sorting out. If I weren't so bloody minded I'd bin the 5600 for sure and go back to an eggbeater. I'm sure that reels have their own personalities as I can chuck my mate's no bother :o ::)

kev

kev

BR65
29-10-2006, 01:26 PM
Im with Normc, the pleasure of nailing a cast right on the money makes the occassional over run worth it.

However, there was a lot of knitting to be done before I relized that hero casts were only going to end ugly and it was better to not get my ambitions mixed up with my capabilities, or should that be castabilities?
cheers
Brian

NeilD
29-10-2006, 03:28 PM
I had a couple of beauties on my old ABU 10 000 when surf and rock fishing back when I was a young pup. Some of these were in the slash and burn category. I also used a 7000 for spinning for Tuna in the Bay. A couple of overenthusiastic casts into the wind saw a great deal of mono bite the dust :P.

I can still recall a mate dropping down off Noosa using one of those narrow spooled senators. He got nailed by what was probably a big Spaniard and the reel almost exploded ;D

Neil

Reef_fisher
13-11-2006, 10:57 AM
;D ;D ;D Man I thought I was the only clown that had so much trouble with overheads, But I must say now My Penn 330gti behaves itself, or maybe I have sorted out how to use it. Could have used this post back then, if only for moral support. Haven't had a birdnest on it for ages.

But I just had to buy another baitcaster for flicking plastics. Needless to say :o :o :o Just had to go out the back yard and try out the new rig. After going back to the tackle shop and buying another spool of line I had another go. Got it to the stage where nests are easy to sort and having many good casts in between. Still haven't used it on the boat.