PDA

View Full Version : Which Rod do I Buy????

marlinqld
12-11-2006, 12:15 PM
Ok, Santa Claus has told me i've been good this year, so I can have a new rod/reel of my choice ;D ;D(within his budget of $200.00) ;D wish santa was richer but she isnt ;) :P

So which do I ask him for?

I want a rod/reel that will catch me squire/snapper/macs in the bay. I have heaps of offshore stuff, but nothing decent for the bay, except a couple of cheap k mart combos, which are due for permanent retirement. :-? ::)

Looking for any comments, recommendations, preferences.

Live fibre rod with a tss4?

im lost, so looking for help to decide what santa is gonna give me ;D ;D

Mike

marlinqld
12-11-2006, 01:08 PM
Suppose i should have said:

It will basically be a SP outfit - thanks Mr T1 for luring me finally to the darkside #;). Squire/snapper/flathead/anything else silly enough to bite the lures. Then willl use it for occasional school mac/ mac tuna flicking if i come across them in the bay.

But all in all, an SP outfit for the bay rivers etc. Is a quality rig for this available for under $200.00?

AND WHILE I AM ON THE DARKSIDE, IF I TAKE THE TSS4, WHAT STRENGTH AND BRAND BRAID WOULD YOU RECOMMEND FOR IT?

Mike

land-lubber
12-11-2006, 02:18 PM
Tss4 WAY too big for bay plastics. however, perfect for slugs.
under 200 id be going a graphite stick in the 6-8 kg range around 6'6 or 7ft. Id match it to a 3000 or 4000 size threadline, id recommend a diawa, but ur choice. run 12 or 14lb braid over it, should suit plastics perfectly and the odd mack etc
cheers

NeilD
12-11-2006, 02:26 PM
I'm happy with my most recent outfit. I picked up a Shimano Snapper Raider and fitted a Penn Affinity 4000 with 10kg Fins braid. I put the outfit together for about $220.00. It does the job on the plackys and does a fair job throwing 20gm slugs and has the balls to knock over a fair Schooly in short order. A similar rod would be the Snapper one in Starlos new range

Neil

Poodroo
12-11-2006, 02:29 PM
Lol Marlin_Mike. Glad to see you turing over to the dark side finally. Every fish we caught yesterday in the bay when we met you at Mud Island was all on SP's. Kind of wish I knew you were being good and entitled to a prez from Santa as I would have shown you my snapper rig which is good enough to haul in a 100kg fish if it latched on and yet still has enough sensitivity in the tip to feel even the smallest of fish (God knows how many whiptails I caught on it). :-/ The rod I have is an ugly stick and only set me back around the $100 so perhaps Santa could throw in a new reel too to make up the difference of that $200 budget ;)

Poodoo

marlinqld
12-11-2006, 03:59 PM
well looks like the tss4 is out............. ;D ;D

ON-THE-CHEW
12-11-2006, 07:31 PM
A mate just bought the perfect combo you are after, it will get in any tuna or snapper from the bay without any major concerns. Berkley dropshot rod 7ft - 6 to 10kg ($69.00), matched with Daiwa Excelor 2500 ($110.00).

The rod is a one piece and is very light for its weight class (good for plastics), the reel basically is very similar to a Daiwa Sol ($350) has a very smooth drag (rated at 6kg).

Andrew

zach
12-11-2006, 09:18 PM
hey mate id go the new starlo stick i think its 7ft 6-8kg there about $90 and a 4000 shimano reel
cheers
zach

marlinqld
13-11-2006, 07:48 AM
so many rods....so many reels.......so many combos....i am soooooooooooooooo confused :-? :-? :-/........................ curse and damn you T1 for luring me over.................. i am off to Tackle Warehouse at Coorparoo. ;D ;D

See what they have so I can email santa

Mike

marlinqld
13-11-2006, 03:51 PM
Spent a bit of time at tackle World on Old Cleveland Rd this arvo

Man have i got a headache now................ :-[ :-/

Starlo sticks, t curve, dropshots, shimano this ugly sticks that........... g loomis - damn those g loomis aint cheap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o :-?

A nice shimano stick by a guy i think was ian miller?? nice stick but $220 out of my budget.

I have narrowed t down to a starlo stick or a dropshot, and leaning to the drop shot at 6 - 8kg .

They showed me a new diawa reel, a regal 4000. Nice, 10BB, feels good, looks good, sat on the dropshot nicely, felt a nice balance. At $99 came highly recommended for quality and reliability for what i am looking at. Am leaning towards this reel

So looks like i am heading for the dropshot 6-8kg class, the diawa regal 4000 reel, 12lb braid over a mono backing ( they said they'd spool backing and braid for me) .

So it appears santa is bringing me a nice little rig that will do a few jobs, and only a little over his budget. rod and reel $229.00. plus some braid and mono.

Very happy mike ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D But i dont get it till xmas , so look out Hervey Bay for me and my new rig........................

Mike

Pitsta
13-11-2006, 04:34 PM
Should be OK for the hervey bay sweeties Mike, but those bluey's mate really burn :-?

Mark

marlinqld
13-11-2006, 04:37 PM
mate i have a heavier rig for the freight trains in hervey bay ready togo

Mike

Pitsta
13-11-2006, 04:51 PM
Just 5 more weeks Mike , 5 bloody long weeks i bet :'( :'( :'( :'(

marlinqld
13-11-2006, 04:57 PM
sure is mate.where you staying up there?

Mike

Pitsta
13-11-2006, 05:02 PM
Scarness caravan park on the esplanade . Right on the front, 20 feet to the beach & 50 feet to the ramp. BEST PART OF THE YEAR ;)

Mark

marlinqld
13-11-2006, 05:08 PM
happy wanderer camping at Torquay for me. 2 streets back of the esplanade. not far from you.

arrive 22/12

38 sleeps for me.........................wooohooo cant wait....bring it on

Mike