PDA

View Full Version : Rod to match a calcutta 100

Mozza
13-11-2006, 10:20 AM
Hi all,

I'm in the market for a v.light baitcaster to match the Calcutta 100 and Im looking for suggestions. I have fairly weak wrists so I find the lighter rods suit for a days casting. The carbonfibre/graphites I find too rigid for twitching bombers or sp's. I picked up a 6-8kg Shimano backbone a couple of years ago which was great on the weight side of things but too stiff in the tip.

I've chatted with a few of the local stores but find some of the terminologya bit confusing and often get shown rods that just don't satisfy my requirements.

Ideal specs:

6kg lineclass
medium to light action
graphite composite with wippy top (f/glass solid tip??)
cork grip (am yet to find a non-cork grip rod that is as light)
good guides
rod weight less than 200 grams

There are some amazing price cuts around at the moment as retailers get rid of old stock but I'll go to $200 if need be to get what I want. My old spaghetti abu f/glass just no longer cuts the mustard (even though its accounted for some of my bigger barra).

I guess the veterans out there would recommend buying the best blank I can find and assembling the rod at home. Could do, but I don't have the right tools to do a good job. A good compromise would be to assemble the grips/reel set and get the experts to bind the guides.

Thanks in advance.

Mozza

BTW was out fishing on the w/e soaking some livies in the hope for a salmon or grunter. Chucked the cast net out next to a creek-channel drop-off and as I dragged the net in, this monster barra exploded near the net cleaning up the remaining bait that had escaped. Its shoulders must have been a foot across!!

How big is that?!

land-lubber
13-11-2006, 01:59 PM
see if u can find a wilson livefiber baitcasting rod, retail for arond 120, are relatively light for what they are (poly grips tho) and have a nice light action. Otherwise wat about a shimano raider? they are graphite, but if u go to the longer models, they have a nice light tip. Have a look and c what u think.
cheers

turley
13-11-2006, 02:25 PM
I highly recommend the Shimano Bass Raider rod! 3-6kg, alconite guides, cork grip with exposed blank and 8-18g casting weight. Matched to the 100 you will have a killer kit!

Mozza
13-11-2006, 08:30 PM
Thanks Guys,

Landlubber those livefibre rods were just the ones I was looking at on the w/e. I think the weight was around 250g. I need to put together a list with associated specs to figure out whats best (for the pocket as well)

Turley, will look at the bass raiders asap.

Cheers
Mozza

BR65
13-11-2006, 08:44 PM
Useing a bass raider at the mo chaseing jacks (unsuccessfully I might add).
Nice little stick at a good price.
Have you looked at th Penn Pin Point Tourny series sticks, again a good stick at the right price.
cheers
Brian