PDA

View Full Version : How do you organise your tackle

Brett1907
10-11-2006, 09:48 AM
Hi, just trying to organise all my fishing gear. Currently have one large bag with everything for offshore and the larger fish species and a smaller bag for spinning from the shore in the esturies. The problem is half of the lures/hooks/lead etc can be used in both situations.

Any comments on how other fishos organise their gear may help me and others become more economical in our fishing expeditions.

Brett

Far_Canal
10-11-2006, 10:10 AM
all i do is have all my lures in tackle boxes, sort them out to what goes with wat etc. then have all my plastics in a draw.

this way you can go through all your tackle boxes and chose the lures u want, then chuck in the plastics you need aswell. saves carryin everything out. i tend to only take half a dozen lures instead of them all, try and use each and every lure otherwise i find i buy lures and use them once.

JasonT
10-11-2006, 10:15 AM
hey Brett
I'm a "tray" man.
I have the bulk of my tackle segregated into trays. One tray for hooks, one for lead, one for swivels, fifty for sp's :-) (jk)
These all slip into a tackle bag and can be thrown in the ute or into the boat with ease.
If I'm going Land based, I'll pack a couple of spare trays with an assortment of what I think I'll need, rather than lug the lot!

JT

imnotoriginal
10-11-2006, 10:24 AM
I have those clear little boxes which go into a soft cover bag. At the moment I don't really have enough gear to need to change much, but in time.... I also favor the clear boxes cause they fit perfectly into the camelbak backpack I have. If I want to go wading for a while I put the soft plastics box and the jigheads box in the back of the camelbak, fill the camelback, knife, pliers and I'm set for a long trip, but comfortable to keep moving.
Joel

marlinqld
10-11-2006, 10:53 AM
I have boxes for each.
One for swivels, one for hooks, one for sinkers, one for lures, 2 for plastics ( now i have been lured to the dark side and bought some SP's) ;D

I bought some good boxes from Bunnings, multi sections, seem to keep the water out well with good latches. Clear lids so you can see whats in the case. All are on the boat so doesnt matter what type of fishing i am going to do.

Mike

Roo
10-11-2006, 12:42 PM
to the left ;) in the briefs, or they can roam free in the boxers ;D ;D

I couldn't help myself [smiley=lolk.gif]

Duyz72
10-11-2006, 01:48 PM
Mike - gee it didn't take long, once lured to the dark side you really jumped in with both feet!

I have all my sinkers in one tackle box.
Jig Heads in another.
All hooks in another in their original packets - when I use a chemically sharpened hook (not trebles) at the end of the day it gets discarded.
Another has used hooks which are cleaned and not discarded such as ganged hooks, non-chemically sharpened and trebles etc.
Lures are separated in to hardody fresh, hardbody salt (small and large categories), poppers, slugs, SPs and flies.

When I go fishing I just take a selection for what I need for that trip in one little clear tackle box.
Surf - 3 large ball sinkers, 3 medium, 3 small, 3 split shots. 6 hooks of each size and style required. 10 swivels. A few lures and SPs all in one little box.
For an all day boat trip I may take up to three with 4 or 5 compartments. Usually a small selection of lead, 6 hooks of each size type, few swivels in one. The other will have about 8 lures. Another for SPs and jig heads.

I can carry this all in a little shoulder bag along with knife, spare reel, and still fit in a few decent fish.

TheSaint
10-11-2006, 02:43 PM
I've got a Plano stowaway box that fits all my SP's in their original packets, Jigheads plus a box with my fave Hardbodies. It works a treat & is perfect for me..

marlinqld
10-11-2006, 03:29 PM
Duyz, once old T1 lured me over, I just had to take advantage of the sale at that mart store we hate to mention. 25% off is hard to resist.

No rumour to the truth i bought several packets of plastics and jig heads ;D ;)

Mike

Duyz72
10-11-2006, 05:35 PM
Definitely gotta stock up this weekend myself if sales still on

nabs12
10-11-2006, 05:44 PM
I keep all my jigheads in a tray, SPs stay in their packet and hardbodies also go in a tray.
These all fit into a bag i got. It has space for 5 trays and place keep my SP packets, leader, scissors and a lot of other bits and pieces.

Cheers

Adamy
10-11-2006, 09:27 PM
I'm a bit embarrassed to say... its all in a massive pile in my garage :-[ ::) :o :o :o Y'know that supa cheep auto ad where the guy shuts his garage door and the other one bursts open and out piles all his car crap?? Yeh well thats me with fishin gear... its quite a shocker... My bro inlaw comes in and say I could start my own tackle shop... I gotta get rid of some - and make room for better stuff ;D ;D

Adam

Stumpy-USA2
11-11-2006, 01:46 AM
I use Plano Stowaway and Falcon FTO boxes for all my hardbaits. I also have a few for extra soft plastics. I use the Tackle Logic wraps for my jigs, spinnerbaits and buzzbaits. I have a small stowaway for hooks, one for leads, and one for jig heads. The baits I use the most go on an organizer under the lid of my boats storage boxes, like the ones in the picture. I have way too much to carry it all at one time so I pick through it the night before and get out a good bit to use.

Casey

hussy
11-11-2006, 08:28 AM
have other boxes to change depending on where i,m going.hubby

imnotoriginal
11-11-2006, 10:16 AM
Wow, great set-up casey. It looks like you're taking the tackle store with you.
Joel

bidkev
11-11-2006, 01:11 PM
I'm a tray and wallet man. The wallets you can buy for 10 bucks and they have 10 sleeves. One wallet I use for traces, another for paternosters, another 2 for gangs (one wire and one mono). Each sleeve in the wallet holds 3 to 4 items of tackle so for example, if I take one gang wallet with me, and one reef (paternosters) I am carrying approx 40 rigged gangs of assorted size hook and 40 paternosters. The large wallet holds my placcies.

The large bag on the left is simply a tool bag from Bunnings that cost 10 bucks. It'll hold the placcy wallet at least 3 trays and 3 other wallets. It also has in/side pockets and outside pockets for pliers, knife etc and a shoulder strap. In reality, it is always half empty when I take it.........it's cheap, tough, and does the job of similar fishing bags priced at 50 bucks.

A couple of the trays hold swivels, hooks etc and these stay at home as I am always sufficient in pre-rgigged tackle.

The whole caboodle is all I'll ever need and comes in at less than 200 bucks...tackle excepted.

kev

Biff
11-11-2006, 08:53 PM
What do ya do on ya holidays Casy.. #Go to work.

# Looks like a full time job #Biff. :D

Reef_fisher
11-11-2006, 08:58 PM
Wow stumpy, great set up. :o I just have a big ish tackle box and those plastic trays for lures, 1 for hard bodies and the other for sp's. Note to self, see if I can turn solid floor into storage lockers.

Brett1907
13-11-2006, 12:17 PM
Thanks everyone, awesome setup n the boat Casey.

Currently I've got a Kokoda bag with my deep water jigs and offshore gear. Larger terminal tackle, leaders, gimbals and harness. And an overnight bag I got from Singapore Airlines when we went overseas years ago.(The most expensive tackle bag ever, think it cost about $8000) ;D ;D

I think I will have to buy more of the plastic trays and just select some for each outing. My wife brought home a double Plano one for her jewelery, so I threw a tantrum until she bought me one too!! ;D ;D

I also have a large wallet pack for my SP's and jig heads, but will now buy a couple of cheap ones for pre rigging like Kev.

Just found out we are doing secret santa with the families this year, so I get to write a wish list. :D

I'm off to 'Go Camping' to spend too long and probably a bit of my own money while I do up the list.

Brett

CHRIS_aka_GWH
13-11-2006, 06:26 PM
not really a "design" but an "evolution"

of the multi-tray plano that neatly fits under the boat seat are

top six small trays marked with nikko labels - swivels;
beads, tubes & float stopper;
gangs;
chromes;
plastics (prerigged);
and a spare one for miscellaneous stuff like cutters etc. On the side pocket of the top is a hook disgorger and three types of flexible leader with room for floats.

In the bottom three big trays are lures at the top - i'm not a big lure nut - the stuff that is in this tray works for what I do - & plastics unrigged ;
then hooks (unrigged clean hooks) organised from size 8 up to 10/0
then sinkers organised the same including jig heads in their plastic covers

The weight in the very bottom helps in rough sea.

Then I have the larger "operating tray" on the left. It is the tray that is opened in the boat most often (i try not to expose the multi box to the spray). The operating tray also fits neatly in a wading bag for surf fishing etc. The slightly deeper style allows for floats to be carried onto the rocks etc and for prerigged items to be store in ziplock bags without damage. It fits well in the side pocket of the boat. Also there is no confusion with the multi-trays.

Unclean stuff doesn't go in the multi-trays only in the operating box - they may get washed dried and returned to the multi-tray if they are lucky. #;D

I'm 39 years old now and have loved fishing since I can remember - this is the best system I have worked with - i have down sized and now have a rule that if it doesn't fit here - it doesn't stay. There is the token shoebox full of lures from comps in the garage cupboard of course.

chris

Stumpy-USA2
14-11-2006, 02:46 AM
I usually start getting ready to go fishing on Wed. or Thurs. night. Also, I work 4-9's and a 4 at my job so I have half a day off on Fri. to get ready. It is a lot of work, but for me its fun. It helps too that I'm a bit of an organization/neat freak. I'm waiting on the day that someone starts a ########### anonymous so I can be a charter member......

Hi! My name is Casey and I have a problem. I started small with a bobber and a worm, now look at me, moved on to the hard stuff. ;D

Stumpy-USA2
14-11-2006, 02:48 AM
That would be fish-a-holics anonymous.

Brett1907
14-11-2006, 12:11 PM
Where is fish-a-holics anonymous?? I think I and all the guys who work for me need to go!!! ;D ;D

Also... Boaties anonymous
Lures anonymous
SPs anonymous
Livies anonymous

AND

LYING TO THE WIFE ANONYMOUS [smiley=laola.gif]

Brett

onerabbit
15-11-2006, 03:20 PM
Much the same as most of you, I have gone the way of the clear plastic tray with lots of segments, one for hooks, one for lures ( 2, 1 for big lures, 1 for small lures & softies) , one for jigs, etc.

Worst problem is..... it take a whole black recycle tub to fit it all ( my tackle box ).

Muzz