PDA

View Full Version : braid vs GSP for abu 4600c4

sweetbream
16-11-2006, 07:22 AM
hey guys,

well i have decided against the new baitcaster for the time being,
I am going to strip the heavy braid from my abu 4600c4 reel and load it up with line suitable for bass.

what do you guys suggest here, is Gel Spun Polyethelyn line (fireline) ok on this style of reel or am i better off going for fins, or one of the other actual braided lines. any tips on weights suitable are appreciated as well.
i was thinking 4-6lb line.

cheers guys

davez104
16-11-2006, 10:08 AM
If your looking at around the 10lb or less mark, don't worry too much about the supposed stiffness of the fused lines. They tend to loosen up fairly quickly. I have used 4,10,20 and 30lb Fireline and found they all lost thier stiffness after a good days casting. I reckon 6lb Fireline would be about spot on for Bass, unless you are casting heavier lures like spinnerbaits, jigs etc, then maybe 10lb would be the go.

Dave.

yellahunter
16-11-2006, 02:07 PM
what about that platypus braid,
i see its on special at one of the marts,

is it any good

banshee
16-11-2006, 05:49 PM
Just to clarify things for you Sweetbream true braids as well as fused braids are both made of GSP with different companies calling it different names like Dyneema and Spectra,the japs just call it PE(Poly Ethylene)and lable it in strength class like PE 5 etc,the differance comes in the way the strands are bonded,braided or fused. I personally think overheads lend themselves to either style of GSP as opposed to little egg beaters that seem to be better with the lighter fused lines,so prety much personal preferance,the only trouble you may find with the true braids is their limpness may foul between the spool and the body of the reel if there is any sort of a gap and you over run.