PDA

View Full Version : Alvey 600B - Increase drag?

frankgrimes
18-11-2006, 12:45 PM
Hi,

Just got myself an Alvey 600B (First time for an Alvey) - This model does not have the drag clutch system, but I have been told I can increase the drag by adjusting the spool tension nut?(No matter which way I screw the nut, it has no affect on drag?) I wanted to increase the drag so that the reel doesn't freely spin while I'm carrying it around....

imnotoriginal
18-11-2006, 01:41 PM
If it's anything like mine it should tighten a little bit when you turn the spool tension nut, but not a great deal. I tend to rely more on my palm to be the drag on a reel like that. Check your manual that came with it and make sure you have all the necessary parts. I once lost a washer and went to tackle warehouse and they replaced it for me. Make sure you adjust the tension nut so it is sitting very close to the spool or it's useless. Great, tough reel.
Joel

Bashir
18-11-2006, 01:51 PM
the tension nut is more to prevent overruns if you leave the rod unattended, its is useless as a drag. You need to use your palm on the spool as your drag. Takes a bit of getting used to, but its puts you in complete control of the fish.

frankgrimes
18-11-2006, 02:12 PM
Thanks Guys - It's not a problem for me when I'm actually fishing, just when I'm transporting it from car->where I'm going to fish.....spooled on me this morning :(

agnes_jack
18-11-2006, 03:52 PM
Frank
They don't have a lot of tension , it is not meant to be a drag, but....
It should easily have enough tension to not freespool like that, if it can freespool so easy that you don't even feel it while walking,I would take it back to the shop and have them take a look to make sure it's right!!

Regards.....Tony :-?

CHRIS_aka_GWH
19-11-2006, 08:11 AM
just to clarify what the boys have said the knurled nut that is esentially the cap on the axle (is the tension nut - it is not designed to tighten down to fully lock the spool - just slow its free spool

the drag nut (that tightens down on the multi-washer direct drag) is a nut that screws down on the thread around the axle.

all sorts of other tricks to stop it spinning like a rubber band on the rod butt or fron the nut on the back of the axle over one of the handles can do the job too - but don't store like this for long periods as the rubber can rot

chris

mylestom
19-11-2006, 08:49 AM
What a well written an illustraed response Chris.

That what this site is all about.

Trev

frankgrimes
19-11-2006, 06:07 PM
Thanks very much for the info - Much appreciated!