PDA

View Full Version : Line/rod weights for TSS4

Cheech
17-11-2006, 08:00 AM
Looked back over the recent pages on tss4, but could not find much on what line and rods people use for spinning palagics.

I do not do much casting for them so do not plan on buying another rod. What I currently have my tss4 on is a standard 7 ft 6-8kg snapper rod and loaded with 20lb braid.

What I am thinking of doing is puting it on an 8 ft 6-12lb shakespeare synergy rod that I have laying around. And being a lighter rod, I would then drop my line down to 14lb braid.

Would this be too light? I expect that I will have a big battle with larger fish, though I fish light for snapper, so would be similar?

What rod/line do you use? Would the rod/line I am planning to use be too light?

Cheech

Green
17-11-2006, 09:02 AM
G'day Cheech, i use a 7ft. 5-10kg jarvis walker rod, 2 of 'em, both sporting TSS4's, one for fishing, 25lb mono. The other for spinning, 35lb braid, this is probably overkill but the line was given to me as a gift with the reel, the big macs don't seem to have much trouble peeling it off. The rods, while cheap at around $35 are great.

Noelm
17-11-2006, 09:44 AM
never been a real fan of Braid for repetative casting and high speed retrieve like spinning for Tuna etc, but, no reason why you should not use it, it is just my preference for mono for that type of work.

Heath
17-11-2006, 09:50 AM
I use an 8ft 8-10kg Wilson Livefibre (RLF20). I run 30lb braid on mine.

Green
17-11-2006, 10:07 AM
never been a real fan of Braid for repetative casting and high speed retrieve like spinning for Tuna etc, but, no reason why you should not use it, it is just my preference for mono for that type of work.
This is the first time i've ever used the stuff, don't know of any inherent problems with it other than it has no give/stretch, have found the diameter in relation to lb/kg a bit of a help with the casting distance and the feedback through the line is certainly different after only ever using mono. But i'll stick to mono for the most part simply for the price and bit of stretch/forgiveness it allows me.

craigie
17-11-2006, 10:24 AM
Hi Cheech,

I run a variety of set-ups for my Slug Spinning.

I have a simiar outfit to what you propose above.
Originally it was the 4-6 kg Strudwick with 14lb Fireline until the Struddie exploded the piece of sh!t !!
This outfit could cast a 25gram slug outasite !! Have now put the 14lb Fireling over a 4-6kg, 7' uglystick where it works well

I dare say your your proposed outfit will work well with slugs in the 20 - 25 gram range. Will still land the Macks and Tuna but may take a little longer, but hey thats half the fun 8-) !!

I'll look for an action shot of one of these rods.

Cheers
Craigie.

craigie
17-11-2006, 11:24 AM
This a differnt Ugly Stick to the one mentioned above.

It's about an 8 or 9 footer, rated around 5 to 8 kg. The tss4 has 17lb mono on it.
This outfit is best suited to slugs above 30gram.

finding_time
17-11-2006, 02:15 PM
Cheech

!4 lb should be fine, i use 6 kg mono for my high speed spinning and have landed some very big fish on this line weight. If planning to fish around the more popular area's Eg Palm Beach using lighter line tends to get you into a bit of strife with the fish getting close to other boats in the ( very ) close area ::) so uping your line strength in these area's is a good idea but 14lb would be sweet for the bay

Ian

Cheech
17-11-2006, 08:45 PM
Thanks all,

Will give it a go with the light rod. Still undecided on the 14 or 20lb, but at least I have options.

Craigie, I think I need guidance and first hand experience from someone that has the palagics sussed. (hint hint).

Cheech

craigie
20-11-2006, 04:53 PM
Cheech,

Might have to load you into the Cyclone and go pelagic slugging !!

Plan to hit the Bay a lot during December when Mack numbers increase.

Will tee you up for a run !!

Cheers
Craigie.