PDA

View Full Version : Alvey and Braid

fluoro
24-11-2006, 03:55 PM
G'day guys,

What's the feeling out there regarding the use of braid on the alvey for surf/rock conditions? I am finding mono tough going as a result of the memory and fray. Would appreciate input.

Cheers

Fluoro 8-)

CHRIS_aka_GWH
24-11-2006, 04:36 PM
i may be wrong but isn't braid isn't more prone to abrasion than mono

i'd go a good low memory nylon like trilene or platinum with a long fluoro carbon leader.

i think rock fishing with braid would be its worst application - the forgiving nature of nylon as a shock absorber is major factor in its favour

chris

NeilD
24-11-2006, 04:45 PM
I don't think braid would be too good around the rocks as it is pretty poor in terms of abrasion resistance.

I would be cautious using braid and an Alvey anyway as I get enough line cuts with mono

Neil

budge
24-11-2006, 05:27 PM
In general the braid will fray more that mono in a situation fishing around structure, although pure beach fising situations it does have its advantages. Although i would hesitate using braid on an alvery as stated unless you wearing finger guards or something as it will cut your fingers easily. If you having real problems with memory and fraying in the rocks, instead in paying out money for the braid perhaps take a look at some of the more abrasion resistant monos before you give it a try.

Jackinthebox
24-11-2006, 06:24 PM
Yeah flouro,

stick with the mono for the rocks, i've lost plenty of good fish on 50lb braid plus a few line cuts on the finger with the alvey when I was a bit slow to react to a run. The fights are brutal and great fun but mate, as soon as that braid touches the rocks, she's all over. Goes pretty good off the beach when the tailor are biting very lightly though.

I've found Penn 10x to be very tough around the rocks but can get tangles now & then. Just like Chris says, I like platinum on the alvey too, very low memory, not many tangles.

Mick.

CHRIS_aka_GWH
24-11-2006, 07:23 PM
i personally think (use) braid for only a few applications

deep water bottom, jigging or bouncing and flicking plastics where direct contact is paramount

shallow water trolling where rod tip action tells the story

snag casting where you need to lock up (haven't done that for a while #::) maybe tomorrow mmm its warm, low tide at sunrise south of cabbage tree ...anyone else know the spot ...... ;)

the rest is all mono - i've tried braid on pelagics and nylon rules IMO etc

Reef_fisher
24-11-2006, 10:19 PM
fluoro, I use Penn 10x on my reef bashing gear and have found it better than the Platinum for abrasion resistance. Got to agree about the braid being hopeless with abrasion, one touch and it's all over.