PDA

View Full Version : What am I doing wrong

BilgeBoy
20-11-2006, 12:47 PM
Talk about frustrating....

Headed out to peel on Sunday to try my new baitcaster combo and what a disaster. Every time I cast...I ended up with all the line spooled up in a mess >:( >:( >:( >:(

I have a Shimano baitcaster running 6 pound Fireline....was flicking a pumpkinseed gulp minow....what a mess! The Shimano has a spool adjustment for casting....tried tighter looser :( I tried thumbing the spool toward the end of the cast...better but still a mess :(

What's going on. Am I missing something....Did I not spool the braid tight enough?? Is there a technique I need to learn?? I did think that it could be the knots where I joined the fireline and the leader (Double Bimini in the braid to double uni to the mono) hitting the line guide!!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! :-[

Megsy

_Dan_
20-11-2006, 01:03 PM
I think you either didnt spool it tight enough, if you have a spare reel get a mate and wind it onto the other reel and the wind it back with some more tension and you will be back in business. I have done this before when the missus has helped me respool lines #:-[

OR when flicking light SP's it take some getting used to as your action may be to quick for the weight of the SP, if you know what i mean.

Cheers

Dan

Jeremy
20-11-2006, 01:32 PM
First question, are you experience in the use of baitcasters? I get the impression from some of your questions that you are not, so I'll go from there.

I reckon 6 lb fireline is too light on a baitcaster for the inexperienced. Birdsnests easier and harder to untangle.

Also a light SP is not the best lure for a baitcaster, particularly in the hands of the inexperienced. A heavier lure is much easier to start.

If you are getting birds nests, you need to tighted the spool cast control knob. Also, you ALWAYS have the thumb the spool at the end of a cast with a baitcaster.

My suggestions, put some heavier line on and practice with a heavier lure until you are confident. Then gradually you can go to lighter line and lighter weights.

Jeremy

Noelm
20-11-2006, 01:33 PM
the main thing with newcomers and baitcasters, is, everything has to be matched, the lure weight and the rod if one is not suited, you will get major dramas, the all there is to do is practice and practice and practice some more

oddbudman
20-11-2006, 01:34 PM
What cast weight were you using? Baitcasters can be a little tricky to cast with light lures / jigheads.

turley
20-11-2006, 01:34 PM
to learn to cast baitcasters, check out fishnet and in there library there is an awesome article by john bethune. Also, with most baitcasters (mG50/pixy etc being the exception) anything below 7g is near impossible to cast any respectable distance.

Cheers

Turley

Noelm
20-11-2006, 01:36 PM
a baitcaster can be the most frustrating thing (next to a lawn mower and whipper snipper) to master, it is easy to get all carried away and try to cast "clear out of sight" forget the distance first off, just master the "workings" of casting first.

Captain_Starli
20-11-2006, 01:46 PM
as said above,
what model baicaster??
what model rod??
& what type & weight of lure..??
what experience do you have using baitcasting gear????
we're you casting into the wind??

will make it easier to answer..

TheSaint
20-11-2006, 02:38 PM
I reckon 6 lb fireline is too light on a baitcaster for the inexperienced. Birdsnests easier and harder to untangle.

Also a light SP is not the best lure for a baitcaster, particularly in the hands of the inexperienced. A heavier lure is much easier to start.

If you are getting birds nests, you need to tighted the spool cast control knob. Also, you ALWAYS have the thumb the spool at the end of a cast with a baitcaster.

What he said!

Reef_fisher
20-11-2006, 04:05 PM
If I get a new rig, or change a rig(rod, reel) I sit out in the deck chair in the back yard and cast at the base of the flame tree, gradualy getting longer and longer casts until I can hit the tree 90+% of the time while also not getting birdnested. The tree is about 35-40 feet or more away.

The beer tastes good and at the end of the day you may end up having to respool but you don't have to clean the boat after a failed trip.

Couldn't agree more about spooling up with some kind of drag on line.

It can be frustrating but all you can do is practice. Use cheap line to practice. ;)

BilgeBoy
20-11-2006, 07:25 PM
Hi all

Thanks for all the replies...and yes you guessed it. When it comes to baitcasters I am Jungle (Thick & Green). Never owned one and never flicked one...and yes I was trying to reach the barrier reef with my casts.

Its a 5'6" Shimano matchline combo and I was using a very light weight jighead (In and out of the wind)...I have since found out the jighead was meant for New Penny Gulps. So once I have untangled the latest nightmare I will practice in the back yard with some more weight...Finally a purpose for the cat (just kidding cat lovers) :)

Hey thanks Ausfishers...By the posts, I guess you have all felt like wanting to make an artificial reef out of these at some stage ;D ;D ;D ;D

I will practice

Regards

Grasshopper

dogsbody
20-11-2006, 09:39 PM
Bilgeboy,
new braid can be a bit stiff, with a bit of ware n tear it should soften and won't be as bad.

Dave.

seatime
21-11-2006, 07:01 AM
Hi Bilgeboy

when I first started with a baitcaster the best advise I was given was to practice with monofilament first, then move onto braid or fused line.

as Jeremy said, if the reel has an adjustable brake mechanism tighen it up to suit, and start with shorter casts and get used to thumbing. I used the pool to cast to off my deck, remove the trebles first and try and hit the kids ;)

regards

Captain_Starli
21-11-2006, 07:25 AM
here is a couple of articles that wil give some good info, saves me 1 finger typing it all out.

http://experts.about.com/q/Fishing-1634/Baitcaster.htm
http://www.fishing-tackle-repair.com/education/baitcaster-setup-101.html

mattooty
24-11-2006, 07:56 PM
As gelsec said, try to use mono first, its cheaper to get used to and soft braid "sticks" to the spool. When the spool is revolving the soft braid doesnt tend to spring off the spool rather it sticks and continues spinning, therefore giving u a great bunch of grapes/birdsnest/tangle from hell
The mono basically jumps off the real and mostly is easier to cut out knots without watching dollar signs fall everytime you see a knot
Matt

BilgeBoy
24-11-2006, 11:43 PM
I gotta tell ya this is gunna take some time. I have been sitting in achair in the back yard flicking at a post (about 4-5 Mtrs) and MAN is it hard. I am getting better though :-?

Jst working out the spool drag and magnet is half the battle!!

What a good excuss to get out there...my have to just duck out Sunday and have a flick :)

seatime
25-11-2006, 06:01 AM
Sounds like you're on the right track BilgeBoy,

if you're gunna have a flick from a boat, take the lure for a troll every now and then, letting out the loosely spooled line and pulling it in under load, to tighten it up on the spool.

try casting down wind with lightly weighted lures, and into the wind with heavier lures, adjusting the brake as necessary, for more practice.

regards
Steve.

Feral
25-11-2006, 07:09 AM
Been learnig baitcasters myself. Bit of advice mate gave me, which helped me a lot, release the spool and adjust the tension so that the particular lure you have on just does not fall towards the ground. It is apparently a bit tight for an experienced user, and cuts cast length, but a good starting point for mugs!

Cut my birds nest down drastically!

BilgeBoy
28-11-2006, 10:10 AM
Hi all

Again thanks for all the awesome advice given on this post. I have been practing what you have suggested....stuck at it with the braid....and now have a MILDLY educated thumb. Well I only get a miner issue evry 10 casts or so....but getting there.

Thanks a heap to the guys a Buds Bait & tackle shop who were also kind enough to give me some pointers....The under arm flick sure is a better way to start!! ;)

So far I have only landed a small ray....but I look forward to posting the results of all this practice!!!

BilgeBoy

DR
28-11-2006, 10:48 AM
[smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif] truth is, once you have it mastered you will wonder what all the fuss was about..

cobia1
30-11-2006, 01:37 PM
As Reef fisher and gelsec said find a tree in your back yard or local park and start casting u will learn alot in just one afternoon. good luck