PDA

View Full Version : changing sp lures

kleyny
30-11-2006, 04:34 PM
new to sp and just wondering the easiest way to change colours and types of the lure on the leader.
last time i went out i left the same lure on as it took me long enough to get that one on correctly :-[
do you cut the leader each time? leave the jig on and just change the plastic (if so how many times can you reuse the lures before they fall apart)?
i was thinking of using those swivels with the snap lock/quick release. is this a good idea if not why not.

thanks kleyny

snakecatcher
30-11-2006, 05:03 PM
Personally I cut the leader each time and put on a new jig head and SP but this is because I tend to superglue SP's onto the jighead and it would be difficult to get them off without buggering them up (I don't superglue gulps though as they stay on really well). You should be able to reuse a plastic a number of times providing you haven't had lots of attempts getting them on straight in the first place.

I wouldn't use a snap swivel as it would affect the action of the SP and tying a new knot doesn't take too long

Pitsta
30-11-2006, 05:57 PM
As a rule i use the same jighead & just change the plastic , not too much timeout this way and the plastic seems to be OK to reuse so far ;)

Mark

TheSaint
30-11-2006, 09:44 PM
I just change the sp over to a different colour or style using the same jighead unless i'm going to lighter or heavier depending on the current at the time.

Stay away for snap locks as tying a leader knot is very easy to do after alittle practice so does getting that sp on straight too...

rowdycowdy
30-11-2006, 09:55 PM
ahh the memories

I was in this boat when I started out with sp's

use the correct weight for you location and stick with it unless you using a texas rig (weedless) usually a plastic worm then you can use an appropriate split shot.

with the leader it is a must to learn a joining knot so as to not affect casting. i have found the easiet knot to learn is the double uni, it just takes practice then you can do it in no time in any condition.

good luck

rowdy