PDA

View Full Version : Whats the strongest mono to suit a TSS4?

FNQCairns
01-12-2006, 04:07 PM
The reel is for the wife and is to be used for just about everything at some stage but mainly casting poppers/slugs/lures on the GBR so it will encounter some good fish with a bit of luck.
Whats the best compromise casting distance V strength for this reel? braid is out at this stage.

thanks fnq

nigelr
01-12-2006, 04:32 PM
Your choice of 20 or 25lb Platypus platinum...............bit stretchy but thats not a bad thing some times, pretty abrasion resistant, not too bad for thickness either, pretty good value also.
Cheers and hope you'se have fun!

Plasticin
01-12-2006, 06:58 PM
look at the platypus low stretch. Has around 7% less stretch than platinum, I think that number is right. As for the strongest, I assume that you mean the best??

lippa
02-12-2006, 08:10 AM
i'm using the new saltwater hard mono. 30lb, its around the same diameter as normal 20lb, low stretch, great knot strenght. dear though, i think 300 mts cost around $50.

lippa

FNQCairns
02-12-2006, 04:25 PM
Thanks for the suggestions so far, plasticin I only meant max breaking strain, but glad I got the suggestions on different types of mono I am always way behing in whats' new or good. Lippa that mono sounds interesting might chase it up for the penn.

thanks fnq

killitfillit
02-12-2006, 04:49 PM
platypus 8 kilo end of story

killitfillit
02-12-2006, 04:49 PM
platypus pink 8 kilo end of story

Deiter
02-12-2006, 07:07 PM
fnq, I have used penn 10x for rock spinning for a few years and it has definate benefits for that type of fishing. I tried a lot of different lines but came back to the 10x for a couple of reasons:

1. Low stretch - it is surprising how little it gives compared to other monos, easier to set hooks.

2. Abrasion resistance - It is easily the toughest line i tried, except for Schneider.

3. Line diameter - 10x is equal to or thinner than platinum in most line classes.

4. Cost - cheap as chips, sold at kmart/ bigw.

I found 25lb to suit my needs best, used on a 8500spinfisher. Only negative is you have to tie good knots. If you tie good knots, it will hold as well as any other line, but with bad knots it is much less forgiving, something to keep in mind.

Damo

FNQCairns
04-12-2006, 08:25 AM
Thanks for the replies, Dieter I could have wrote your reply myself. I fell in love with the stuff years ago, I guess if it is not yet broke don't bother trying to fix it.

Bought 300m of 10x, 25lb. 300m fills the spool exactly, nice!

cheers fnq