PDA

View Full Version : okuma epix 80 baitrunner reel

boodo
30-11-2006, 05:42 PM
i was just wanting to know if anyone has a okuma epix 80 baitrunner reel and whether they rate them or not, all my other gear is shimano but i have seen a few of these around on ebay and was after a opinion.

cheers boodo

Blackened
30-11-2006, 07:24 PM
G'day
There are plenty of these going around, but imo, spend that little extra and get the shimano.

Dave

insolent
01-12-2006, 05:41 AM
I've got the reel in the 40 size and I rate it, nice and smooth drag, stainless steel gearing. Okuma have lifted their game the last 3-4 years, although they still don't match it in the overhead game I think their spinning reels are a good mid range alternative to the Shimanos and Daiwa reels. Their service department is exemplary.

Insolent

Cheech
01-12-2006, 12:47 PM
I bought one 6 months ago and use it for my offshore fishing (don't like overheads). It does the job quite well.

Normally all I use is Shimano, but as I did not do a lot of offshore, perhaps only 8 times a year, I thought it would do the trick as I picked it up for $100.00.

If I used it more regularly I would go the Shimano 6500, but as I said, it is doing the job fine. Chong also uses one and he loves his.

Cheech

budge
02-12-2006, 08:02 PM
Yeah i would have to agree with the other guys, i have a 60 series not the bait feeder model i use for spinning while it is a good reel, i can feel the reel is not as smooth as when i got it only twelve months ago. They are ok for the money and if your a bit behind in the green stuff by all means get one but i would have to opt for the 6500 or big bait runner if choosing between the two.

grave41
02-12-2006, 10:12 PM
Add carbon tex washers and their awesome
Graham

cobiaman
03-12-2006, 10:34 AM
ive got one and its great, i caught a 22kg longtail on mine and its faultless.

grave: where do you get the carbontex washers?

tuskie
03-12-2006, 02:56 PM
I've had the previous model Coronado 90 baitfeeder for 4 years. It fishes alongside a BTR6500 mostly floatlining for snapper and macks. The Okuma is not as smooth as the Shimano but has a smooth drag and is standing up to the salt, wear and tear as good as any brand. (Alvey excepted of course!)

Cheech
04-12-2006, 12:42 PM
It is good to hear that they have lasted for a few of you. Hope mine does the same.

Not sure if I would need a washer upgrade. My drag is already pretty smooth, and have not really pushed it yet as the biggest I have caught on mine is a snapper about 5kg. I would probably need to upgrade my rod to do the extra drag justice. Currently using a 10-15kg rod.

Though having said that,,,, you can't have too many toys or fishing stuff to spend your money on!! What are the details of the washers?

Cheech

Bushbasher
04-12-2006, 03:30 PM
I've had the previous model Coronado 90 baitfeeder for 4 years. It fishes alongside a BTR6500 mostly floatlining for snapper and macks. The Okuma is not as smooth as the Shimano but has a smooth drag and is standing up to the salt, wear and tear as good as any brand. (Alvey excepted of course!)

One of the reasons it isn't as smooth as the Shimano is the stainless steel gears. I also have a Corronado CD90 I use on the beach and it's tough as and yes, you can feel the slight gear meshing through the handle but stainless steel will do that as it's much harder than brass.

Bushbasher

FishMarket
04-12-2006, 04:11 PM
I have an EB60, can't really fault it and have had some Big Rays test the drag out. All in all a pretty good reel for the price and the Baitrunner feature comes in handy.

Cheers
Matt