PDA

View Full Version : Baitcaster Maintenance Problem

Red_Nut
04-12-2006, 01:48 PM
Team,
the old man has picked up two old Shimano Crestfires at a garage sale for $2 and wants me to have a go at servicing / maintaining them for him.

The first one has a known problem (hence the $2 at a garage sale) of the spool constantly being in 'free spool' / 'cast' mode. What should I look for when opening it up?

The second one feels like it just needs a good clean and lube. The cast / wind / drag systems appear to work ok.

Any thoughts on the first one? I have not pulled a low profile baitcaster apart before, but for $2 for both reels we are not too worries about that ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cheers.

Ed.

Noelm
04-12-2006, 02:49 PM
have a look at the one that works and compare to the dud, you will soon see what has broken/fallen off inside. not too difficult to fix, just get a good work table (in the kitchen) spread out some newspaper, get a few small hand tools at the ready, an oil can and some grease, hey presto, reel mechanic.

Bushbasher
04-12-2006, 03:14 PM
Sounds to me like the first one is just gummed up inside with crud and the freespool button is stuck. Pull it down, clean every part with shellite then reassemble it using a decent reel oil and reel grease in the appropriate places and you should be fine. Just remember "LESS IS MORE" when it comes to lubing your reel as too much oil and grease will just slow things down and the lubes will migrate to places they're not supposed to be if there's too much in there. You want just enough to do the job and no more. #Don't be afraid to pull down the reel, they aren't as complicated as you might think and as long as you lay out the parts in order as you pull it apart you shouldn't have any dramas. If worst comes to worst, go to http://mikesreelrepair.com/schematics/ and track down your reel schematics.

Bushbasher

Red_Nut
05-12-2006, 03:20 PM
Now that I have the schematics it should be pretty easy to telll what is broken / missing.

I pulled the side covers off one of the reels last night, and I reckon I found the reason the spool is not turning. There is no gear sprocket on the spool!! Perhaps this thing has been pulled apart before and they lost it ;D ;D

All the other bits look in place, but when I compare it to the schematics tonight it should jump out at me.

The second reel is turning out to be a bugger to get the first screw out of the handle nut cover. I'll see if a good soaking in Innox has loosened it up. I reckon the last owner's intention was to carry out reel repairs in much the same way I am, but may have stopped when they lost the spool gear sprocket, and then couldn't get the other reel apart.

I guess persistance is the key. These reels are 1990 models according to the schematics, they are the original Crestfire CR100. I imagine that they have not been serviced in their 16yr lives.

Looks like Bushbasher was right - these things were not too complicated once they were apart. I may even cervice my newer Coriolis myself next time around.

If I can get them finished by this weekend it might make a good early Chrissy present for the old man.

Cheers.

Ed.

Volvo
06-12-2006, 07:29 PM
Check the anti reverse pawl, make sure its sitting on its spindle or whatever its called??..
like someone allready said, make sure it aint gummesd up with greese, they should only be oiled..
Mine every now n then does the same does the same her en there..
Cheers