PDA

View Full Version : Lure clips- do you use them?

devocean1
04-12-2006, 10:55 AM
Just wondering if people prefer to use them or not. Im mostly talking about estuary luring than offshore. I have heard some people prefer not to use them as they can often take away action from the lure or even scare fish away.

Cheers Dan

whiteman
05-12-2006, 01:17 PM
I use em.

Dunnys4trout
05-12-2006, 01:55 PM
Me too. But im kinda the same

8-)

masterdusky
05-12-2006, 02:47 PM
snap clips ?? I use the better quality ones that come with a ball swivel, just slide the swivel off and use that way.. ;)

Noelm
06-12-2006, 10:54 AM
have yet to come across a fish that knows the difference between a clip and a loop knot, but hey you never know because if it did "scare them away" you would not know 'cause you didn't catch it! or something like that.

TheSaint
06-12-2006, 10:59 AM
I use them on my baitcaster but not on my spinning outfits.. It's just a personal choice

TinarooTriumph
06-12-2006, 11:03 AM
Never used em', never will. Rubbish things if you ask me.

Don't get lazy

devocean1
06-12-2006, 01:46 PM
What is the knot called that creates the little loop in front of the lure???

gogecko
06-12-2006, 04:04 PM
Its called a Perfection Loop, and its pretty easy to use. Youll find it on google and in Wilsons books. For hardbodies I only use this knot , and never use clips.

I use clips on poppers cos I reckon it doesnt matter so much.

I see some top pros still use clips on lures and catch lots of fish, but they are using special imported clips that are designed to help the lure action.
I guess the juries still out on this issue.

Andrew

TinarooTriumph
06-12-2006, 04:42 PM
I think alot of people use these bloody things not just because they are slack with lure changes, but because they have absolutely no idea on how to tie a Lure Connection knot.

Two good Lure Loop Knots are the Perfection Loop Knot, and the Lefty Kreh knot. I beleive AusFish has the Perfection knot in it's animated Knots section... go and check it out if you havn't done so already.

blaze
06-12-2006, 07:12 PM
It is my opinion that even if you tie your lure on with a loop knot or simular that when it is dragged through the water the fact that the lure creates a resistance will inturn close that lovely formed loop up and you just have well tied it on with a blood knot. If you use a quality clip which maintains its shape when retrieving the lure there is more chance that you will create a better action out of the lure as the lure can move about in the clip, the clip does need to be the right line class though.
So my opinion differs to the popular but I believe I am thinking outside the square on this one
cheers
blaze

scottym
06-12-2006, 07:52 PM
I think the clips are good if you know that you will probably be changing lures alot but if I think that I may only chnage lure a few times during the trip than I normally use a loop knot.

Scotty

stevos
06-12-2006, 08:02 PM
I personally use a bow line rather than a perfection loop - find it much simpler. But like most I still use clips when I intend to change the lure often.

Also use them when im flicking slugs but not sure why?

scott_b
06-12-2006, 08:02 PM
Gday
# #This is a bit hard to comment on because I only use bigger lures where the action is not affected by a snap , anyway I like to use the halco crosslock snaps with no swivel ,I can loop the mono through twice then tie the knot off for more strength . A loop knot only has one thickness of mono were it is bent 180 degrees on the tow clip.
# #As for being slack ,yep the less friggin around in the dark to change a lure the better!!. #::)
# #As for having no idea on tying knots ,yep you caught me out ::) but I'll try knot to loose sleep. ::)
# # # # # # wamjam

oddbudman
06-12-2006, 08:11 PM
I like to use snaps with slugs, can give you a little extra protection from toothy critters and makes changing slugs nice and fast.

Noelm
07-12-2006, 08:56 AM
still not convinced that a fish can see a big (or small) coloured object that they have probably never seen before and go to attack?? eat?? then say to themselves (in fish talk of course) hang on that has got an XXx snap swivel on it, better stay away, but then same "thing" can zip by with a perfectly tied loop knot and the fish will eat it! by the way I mostly use a knot, not a snap, but do not think it makes much difference, except maybe in your head and sometimes that's what counts.

Noelm
07-12-2006, 08:57 AM
OH and just as an after thought, when all the rattles and fluro colours and so on are added to a lure, maybe, just maybe, a snap swivel could ADD to the attraction, you think??

jim_farrell
07-12-2006, 09:19 AM
I use them, and a mate i fish with doesn't. Not much difference in our catch rates. Call me lazy if you like, but my line spends more time in the water and my leader length doesn't get shorter.

Jim

moondancer
07-12-2006, 10:43 AM
Prefer not to use clips on smaller outifits, but with wire / trolling for spaniards etc. I use clips.

Stumpthumpa
07-12-2006, 12:02 PM
I asked this question a few months ago in relation to a Barra trip I was about to go on. As above I got a lot of different replies. I took some good advice and bought some #6 Halco Crosslock snaps.

They were great, we had some shut down days at Awoonga where we changed lures heaps, changing lures in low light was great, and swapping pures for different trolling depths was also much easier. It made the fishing far more flexible. At Callide I lifted a whole section of wire fence, posts and a fish and the snaps held. I did take the advice offered to change them every now and then if they looked a bit tired.

borisdog
07-12-2006, 02:04 PM
I always use them. Just the crosslockers with no swivel. Never had a fish break one and I completely agree with the comments about spending more time in the water and leader length being maintained. To me it's one of those weird pieces of snobbery you see in fishing every now and again, ie if you don't use a loop knot then you're obviously incompetent at tying knots ::). 90% of my fishing is snag casting for Jacks, Barra, Cod etc

The_Walrus
07-12-2006, 05:20 PM
The only time I don't use them is when bait fishing.

I carry a range of sizes to match the lures I'm using.

Luc