PDA

View Full Version : Rod Ratings...

Jack^Mangrove
10-12-2006, 09:56 AM
I was just reading an interesting thread where Bushbasher and Tony were discussing drag ratings of certain reels and also line ratings of rods. I guess I`m a little curious as to how a manufacturer comes up with figures for their product. Thinking more in terms of rods, I`m wondering is the line rating that in which a rod might break when pushed outside the line weight boundaries....(ie. a rod rated at say 4 to 8kg would break when attempting to lift a 10kg weight)....or is it a guide to what weight the rod will perform at it`s best....or as bushbasher put it..."where the curve of the rod under load is in it's "sweet spot". ??? #I guess if the first is the case then why have the bottom end of the rating.....surely only the "max" weight would be the important figure? And in the second case just how far would it be safe to go outside the boundary before you risk breakage? Would be really interested to hear peoples opinions on the subject. Cheers!

Reef_fisher
11-12-2006, 11:42 AM
Can't help with the question Jack, but have put line on rod bigger than recommended and have only had one failure on a elcheapo rod, although it snapped at the handle and not further up as expected.

Have also put heavier than recommended line on reels and apart from unsmooth drag operation under very heavy loads have not had any problems.

Don't know if this helps. Cheers Andy.

Jeremy
11-12-2006, 01:10 PM
I started a thread on this topic about 3-4 months ago. Good some good replies.

The ratings from the manufacturer's are SUPPOSED to be the best line weight to run on the rod. ie a 4-6 kg rod for 4-6 kg line. This is worked out by the amount of weight which will put the rod into a working curve and how much will lock it up. For the 4-6 kg rod, that would be 1.5 to 2 kg of weight.

In actual fact, many rod manufacturer's rate their rod much higher that what many people (including myself) would rate the rod to from experience. eg I find some 10-15 kg rods make a good 8 kg rod. Of course, there is some personal preference there.

As for how far you can push a rod, it is more about technique than the strength of the line. You can safely run heavier line on a rod without breaking it as long as you don't 'high stick' it. However, the drawback is that you won't be able to fish the line to its' potential and the fights will be longer than if you had a better matching rod (to the line).

See if you can find the previous thread. More info there.

Jeremy

Tri-Kun
11-12-2006, 03:44 PM
Helllo

The new Fishing DVD, explains wat your asking, about the line rating, wats rods are used for certains area's, the flexibility, and the lure rate...hope thats helps

Tri

Jack^Mangrove
11-12-2006, 05:24 PM
Thanks for the input fellas. Very interesting. And yeah Jeremy I`ll track that thread down mate. Cheers!