PDA

View Full Version : Little kids catching big fish/FYI dad's

nofrills
10-12-2006, 08:59 PM
Howdy all

ive been playing in the shed lately and the challenge has been to put together a set up that will enable my small children,of which there are four, to tangle with some of the larger fish i like to chase.My kids have all caught mackerel and tuna and the problem is they dont have the strength in their arms yet to lift the rod for an extended period.So i end up leaning over their shoulder pumping the rod for them ,which works, but i really want them to be able to fight and capture the fish all on their own.
Ive put a fair bit of thought into this and spent the last week running around the back yard with a line in my hand pretending to be a fish and this set up seems to be pretty good so ill post up some pics and some theory for any dad's that might be interested.

N0 1 Most over head reels are akward for little kids and a light weight eggbeater with a fast ratio will be easier for them to handle.The ratio will mean they have to wind less to recover line and will have more chance of keeping up with a pelagic fish that is swimming toward the boat.also an eggbeater will be less prone to overrun and most''fishing'' kids are familiar with them.ANSWER TSS 4.

NO 2 The TSS 4 is a spinning reel so there is no harness fittings on it, so ive made a stainless bracket and bolted it to the rod.this means the kids dont really need to use their arms too much as i can drive the boat forward to keep pressure on the line/fish and all they have to do is crank the handle when the opportunity arrives.

NO 3 As im trolling all the time the kids need to have lifejackets on as the boat will be under way, so ive threaded the harness strap into the jacket and used the same quick release clips you find on a back harness.I will also tie them into the boat ::){DON'T TELL MUM}

No 4 Ive bought a really form fitting/curved gimbal belt,so it won't slide around the kids little hips.

No 5 the rod is a cheapie jarvis walker that will bend all the way to the butt.the big curve under load means i can watch it and see when the pressure is decreasing and give me more time to idle forward or make sure the child winds.The sloppy rod will mean less hurt on the fish but it will also mean less hurt on the kid.All i have done to the rod is fit a good tip ,shorten the butt,knurl the grip .and put on a gimbal fitting.

Now in theory its all sweet ,we might drop a few fish but all they need is one ;Dso this week the kids are on holidays and so am i,the forecast is perfect and ive got the video camera ready so stand by.

see pics below
{tell me what ive forgotten}
cheers scotty

nofrills
10-12-2006, 09:00 PM
no 1

nofrills
10-12-2006, 09:02 PM
no 2

nofrills
10-12-2006, 09:04 PM
NO 3

Sportfish_5
10-12-2006, 09:26 PM
Scottie - all looks good there. The only thing I would do for the little ones would be to make sure the anti-reverse is locked in place so it wont go direct on the handle if they accidentally knock it.

Cheers

Greg

nofrills
10-12-2006, 10:47 PM
good thinkin greg ;)

the other thing i only noticed when i looked at the last pick is the rod butt is already hitting the top edge of the gimbal belt,so i might cut a bit out of the top or move the pin forward and shorten the butt a bit more.that way they can pump it if they want.

phatty
10-12-2006, 11:28 PM
haha.
i wish you where my dad when i was little!

marlinqld
11-12-2006, 05:12 AM
you better patent the invention ;D ;D ;D

Brett1907
11-12-2006, 07:49 AM
It's amazing what extremes a dad with a fishing addiction will go to so his kids can share in his passion.

Well done, very impressive. I think taping the anti reverse would prevent the kids from accidentally hitting it, and I would cut the top of the gimbal to allow the kids to pump if they want. Same comments as above.

Look forward to seeing the video!!

Brett

Reef_fisher
11-12-2006, 11:31 AM
Agree with Mike, patent it. I too have put some thought into this but with daughter only 11months old will have to wait for my deckie to grow a bit.
I was going to make a custom rod with all the features but obviously scaled down for her to use. The lifejacket setup is pure genious. How easy will the rod strap be to remove if the worst happens and she goes over the side, or is that what you meant by tying them into the boat. ;D

nofrills
11-12-2006, 01:03 PM
i dont think you could ever make and sell a set up like this because if you really were to go into the safety aspect it would never be passed.for starters the life jacket is designed to roll the kid on their back and if a fish were to pull a kid overboard it would keep them on their stomach.So all you can do is minimise the risks.After all we could be racing Moto-X.

The kids have all been going to swimming lessons since before they could walk.and the clips are like a crab claw set up with good size release tags on them.Also i am going to tie the kids to me instead of the boat whilst they are hooked up.

I cut the top out of the gimbal belt today and that made a huge difference.

Phatty is that you son?
i could'nt afford to feed all of you and it was either you or the boat. ;D

cheers scotty

jeffo
11-12-2006, 04:51 PM
scotty- how old are they?? brooksey has made up some ripper little fittings for TLD15's so they can be snapped into a harness. his young ones do really well with this set up.

nofrills
11-12-2006, 07:29 PM
hey jeffo

they are 3-4 -6 & 8 I'd be keen to see brooksey's set up.I tried one of those propper harness setups in a few different sizes but could'nt get anything that worked over a life jacket.
How do kids get on on the game boats do they wear inflatables with a harness over the top for trolling ?.

cheers scotty

SeaSaw
11-12-2006, 09:42 PM
Gidday Scotty, Nice work on the harness setup. :D It might just be the angle in the pics, but it looks to me like the rod butt could be shortened a bit. Looking at the pics, it appears she would be at full stretch to reach the reel and foregrip. Shortening the rod butt might also let the rod drop lower down to the horizontal, allowing a better pumping action.

Just a few thoughts.

Cheers,

Mark

Kiktz
13-12-2006, 07:48 PM
Great set up................. Well done 10 outa 10

the only thing I think you are missing is the strap on the back of
the vest in case the lil tikes hook up a monster to stop em get taken
for an un wanted swim

Aj

nofrills
15-12-2006, 06:58 AM
thnks guys

mark it is a bit of a stretch for her but its purfect for her bigger brother,so i thought id start long.

unfortunatley,even though there was some beautiful weather this week the forecast's and the top days didn'nt line up.yesterday/thurs was forcast as a cracker but a northerly had started to puff when we awoke and as we were going wide it needed to be perfect for them.Idid a quick solo trip instead and mum bought them over for a flat head fish later to ease the disapointment.but thats OK theres plenty of time so we'll just wait for the day.

ill post a report up later
cheers scotty