PDA

View Full Version : Sinker Molds

roz
12-12-2006, 04:21 PM
I don't seem to be able to buy these particular type of sinkers (pictured) anymore.

I've been surviving on the small supplyI've had stored away, but I'm now down to the last one.

I've been using these sinkers to weigh down the leading hook on a gang used for trolling baits. The groove running along the sinker makes this easy.

I can't buy them locally..... if fishing tackle aust., don't have them, I don't like my chances. I have tried a couple of places in Brissie, no luck.

Is it hard to make a sinker mold using plaster of paris, or would someone know another method? Better still, does anyone have some they don't want???

cheers roz.

roz
12-12-2006, 04:23 PM

bearclaw
12-12-2006, 05:37 PM
Roz,
Try this company in the states they maybe able to help. www.do-itmolds.com I have bought lots of there molds in the past.

Myles

roz
12-12-2006, 07:46 PM
Ta Myles,

I've sent them an email with pics. Will let you know.

r.

NeilD
12-12-2006, 08:41 PM
Hi Roz

I have always used net leads like they crimp to the bottom of bait nets. Your ones look a lot more streamlined though

Cheers

Neil

roz
12-12-2006, 08:55 PM
Hi Neil,

I know the ones you're talking about, havn't even seen those.

r.

Noelm
13-12-2006, 08:42 AM
you could just buy the long same shape sinkers and cut a groove with a hacksaw, a bit of mucking around but at least it will get you out of trouble for a while, lead is very easy to cut of course, so it will not be too much drama, and if they are really your 'life blood" you can get moulds made but are not real cheap, but if you do not "put it somewhere safe" (and forget where it was) you will never need to buy another one.

jim_farrell
13-12-2006, 08:49 AM
I remember when I was a kid, dad putting the barrel sinkers in the vice and hacksawing the groove as noelm said.
jim

roz
13-12-2006, 07:22 PM
thanks Noel & Jim,

Now I will just duck around to your place and set up my stuff in your shed. That's one thing I need badly.

I'm going to give the barrel sinker idea a go.

cheers r.

Kiktz
13-12-2006, 07:51 PM
Roz,

Have to agree with neil, they are the sinkers that they use for the bottom
of bait nets. They are still sold in packs. A mate bought a big bag full
last week from springwood marine. I will check to see if they have info
on the label to hunt some down for you.

Aj

revs57
13-12-2006, 08:18 PM
Hi Roz,

I've got a sinker mould set I'd be happy to send you that may suit if you like. the Barrel sinker ranges from 25mmx6mm to 60mmx8mm...see photo.

PM me an address and I can send them down, just post them back when you're done!

Let me know what you'd like to do

Cheers

Rhys

Noelm
14-12-2006, 07:25 AM
hey you can come around to my place and use my stuff, I think if you left right now, you could be here by tea time, if you hurry up, only about 12hours to the Illawarra.

blaze
14-12-2006, 08:19 AM
Hi Roz
Have you thought about sheet lead/flashing the plumbers use, easily cut into strips the desired width then wrap around the hook, if you then want it a bit more streamline you can very easily shape it by gently tapping and moulding with a small hammer.
cheers
blaze

aussiefool
14-12-2006, 08:42 AM
Hi Roz
Have you thought about sheet lead/flashing the plumbers use, easily cut into strips the desired width then wrap around the hook, if you then want it a bit more streamline you can very easily shape it by gently tapping and moulding with a small hammer.
cheers
blaze

Bugger I was just about to say the same thing. If you want a bit to try and are in the Tweed area let me know as I have a bit to spare
Andrew

roz
14-12-2006, 09:14 PM
Blaze & Andrew,

I havn't had this much attention, since I fell over in the middle of Elizabeth St Sydney...... in a very short skirt!!!

I have the sheet lead, but it seems to work it's way loose after a while, Rhys is going to lend me one of his sinker molds, god bless him!!

cheers r.

aussiefool
16-12-2006, 10:48 AM
Blaze & Andrew,

I havn't had this much attention, since I fell over in the middle of Elizabeth St Sydney...... in a very short skirt!!!

cheers r.

And as a true gentlman that I am it's a pitty that I too was not on hand to lend a helping hand ;D ;D