PDA

View Full Version : daiwa td sol's OR shimano fd sustain

zach
14-12-2006, 08:19 PM
witch do u guy's prefer

Why-ting
14-12-2006, 10:02 PM
SOL. Super happy with mine but both good reels.

Cheers Whytey

cdenyer
14-12-2006, 11:06 PM
I have only tried the Sol and IMO it's a great reel. The excellent drag has never let me down and thus far the reel is trouble free.

Chris

nabs12
14-12-2006, 11:09 PM
SOL for me.. I love mine.. very smooth and 6kg of drag :o plus it looks better than the Sustain ;D
I havent tried the sustain so i wouldnt know much about it.. But the Sol is definately worth it.
Comes with a spare spool..not sure if the sustain does.
Cheers

sleepygreg
15-12-2006, 12:35 AM
when it comes down to a like for like comparison.....Daiwa wins every time......just wish they would put on the market an equivalent to the TLD.

a_big_red_1
15-12-2006, 05:03 AM
i have the Daiwa sol 2000 running 2lb crystal, great little reel smooth drag
either way they are both good reels
good luck with your chioce, im sure you will enjoy with what you end up getting

Daz

PlasticFantastic
15-12-2006, 08:22 AM
I've got a SOL 2500 and can highly recommend it, aslo the Sustain for the same size say in a 2500 reel doesn't hold as much line as the Sol. Also Sleepygreg isn't the Diawa Sealine the equivelent to a TLD ( just costs a little more ).

PlasticFantastic

Mick_Godfrey
15-12-2006, 08:41 AM
looks like most the guys like diawa, personally i wont buy anything other than shimano, everything else i have used over the years just doesnt seem to last as long...............

zach
15-12-2006, 09:41 AM
yeh same all my gear is shimano but most the guys here like diawa im looken to buy a new spin reel and was thinking of getting a diawa
looks like most the guys like diawa, personally i wont buy anything other than shimano, everything else i have used over the years just doesnt seem to last as long...............

cammac
15-12-2006, 10:53 AM
Oh well Zach - u better stick with the Devil u know eh !!!! looks like u may have already made up your mind b4 u asked the question. The Diawa seems to have very good recommendations and in this price range it shud be well built to last a long time.!!

FishMarket
15-12-2006, 11:37 AM
Now, I'm not gonna say that one is better than the other because I own both. I recently bought a Sol 2000 and am very happy with it. I get less line twist and air knots with lighter line but #I only have a Stradic 2500 to compare it to.
I have taken a step towards the Dark Side and would definitley buy another Daiwa but I don't think their lower end reels are all that great though i.e I would definately rate a Stradic over a Tierra any day!!!!

Cheers
Matt

nuggstar
15-12-2006, 05:06 PM
go the penn, thay work

StevenM
16-12-2006, 08:22 AM
If you want lots of air knots go the sh itstain

So if you want my 2 cents worth as you can see buy the Sol

kirin
16-12-2006, 08:31 AM
Santa bought me a SOL yesterday. Apparently good price - $295. Wife said it was the best she could find but then again the research might have only been one store....

DHM77
16-12-2006, 09:19 AM
Zach,
The same as a few other guys on here - previoulsy I would only buy Shimano. I've presently got around eight Shimano's that i have bought over the last 10 years. I now have 4 Daiwa's as well, and on a straight $ for $ comparison I now believe that the Daiwa's are a better buy. I service all my own reels, and from what I've seen, in my own opinion, the Daiwa's are a slightly better reel. Both manufacturers are bloody good, but I think presently Daiwa's are just a little better value. Seem to have a better drag system, a bit smoother operation and the bodies have a little bit more rigidity. I haven't got a Sol but would love to try one. I would definitrely go the Sol.
Regards,
Dave

fish81
19-12-2006, 01:46 PM
witch do u guy's prefer

I think if you ask that question 3 years ago I would only go for Shimano. They've got baitrunner, thunnus, stradic and sustain which is great and all...But they were made in Japan or st worst Singapore and thailand. if you look closely, now they're made in China, in my opinion they're not too far different than reels, say Okuma.
Last year Daiwa bring out these awesome series of reels that are made for the Japanese market and are made in Japan. They also bring out cheap reels to match the competition from daiwa, okuma and other companies, but they dont do it anymore this year. They stick to providing the high end, good quality reels. However not all of the tacklestores are given the previledge to carry most of this stuff and definately most of these fine reels are not available in the internet. If you're looking to match a shimano sustain, I recommend looking at Daiwa Certate and see for yourself. Only few stores, Daiwa Pro Dealers they call it carry reels such as the Saltiga, Certate, Theory and lots more...I use Saltiga a lot and it will handle even the biggest kingies. Its basically a spinning reel with 9-11kg drag, "real" stainless bearing and fully waterproof.