PDA

View Full Version : lite barra leader

nuggstar
17-12-2006, 08:20 PM
hi ausfishers i need some realy good leader for fishing with pellets 4 barra at the barra park. i have used many different classes of leaders :-? there and found that thay don't like any thing over 12lb :'( some days thay wont even hit 9lb >:( and forget flurocarbon it sinks and i want my pellet to flote :'( but i want that invisibul factor that flurocarbon has. ;) i get my best hookus using 9lb shore catch mono :-[that i have 4 years but it chaffes though verry easy, :( i have lost to many big barra because of this. so please can some one please suggest a realy good tuff thin 9lb to 15lb mono (or fluro if it flotes) to get that might hold up to a barra's sand paper lips :) ;)

Jeremy
18-12-2006, 11:50 AM
There is a way of making your line float. They fly guys use it. I think they rub some wax or oil on the tippets to make them float. Try asking the question on the fly chat section. Then you can use fluorocarbon.

Jeremy

saurian
19-12-2006, 03:05 PM
nuggstar , might be way off here , but could you use light weight braid
as a leader ???
I've never caught barra on pellets so I have no idea of requirements ??
Sounds like fun but.
Ta.

Feral
20-12-2006, 06:09 AM
Use a float, with a small leader off that. Vaseline is reputed to make leaders float, have not tried it myself.

nuggstar
20-12-2006, 04:42 PM
thanks guys i will give the vass a go on the fluro 4shore. thay are smart fish and have verry keen eyes and when you hook them thay know exacally where to go to cut u off >:( i wish i could use a heavier leader but as i said befor thay don't seem to like anything over 12lb, i think the barra can see the leader so it makes it hard . its a verry exciting way to fish i love it ;D