PDA

View Full Version : Surf Fishing - use of bait clips

nigelr
16-12-2006, 10:06 AM
I've read that the use of bait clips and paternoster style rigs are very popular in the UK and in South Africa when fishing the surf.
Apparantly they are considerably more efficient to cast.
One article I read a couple of years ago highlighted the success of some South African anglers shore fishing in WA, during a major fishing competition.
Apparently their use of these rigs allowed them to whitewash the Aussie competitors, due to the considerable extra distances they were able to cast.
From memory they had taken some very large kingfish on fresh squid. I'm not positive but I think they may have been fishing the surf.
Would be grateful for any info on this subject, I always enjoy testing out new rigs in the search for better results.
Cheers.

Feral
16-12-2006, 06:11 PM
Yeah I always use clips when fishing tailor in the surf.

I have half a dozen gangs with pillies already on them in my bait pot, when the Tailor come on, I just undo the clip, toss the tailor and gang up the beach, (or into the shoulder bag) clip on another and cast, Usually means in the 4 or 5 minutes they are on in front of you, a couple of fish more than the blokes either side of you.

CHRIS_aka_GWH
16-12-2006, 07:53 PM
you should be able to rig a pillie in the time taken to declip and reclip - and at night well ......

are you talking about breakaway rigs - the kiwis use them too and a lot of other cunning tricks

that sort of back ledge fishing is very dependent on form you want to be on the dropoff - sometimes no weight and a friendly rip can take you there.

chris

Feral
17-12-2006, 06:36 AM
you should be able to rig a pillie in the time taken to declip and reclip

Yeah I can, but pulling 3 hooks out of the tailors throat is what takes the time!

nigelr
17-12-2006, 06:46 AM
Thanks Feral and Chris for your replies.
I use the clips that you do Feral, makes changing rigs very quick and easy.
Yes Chris, I am talking here about the breakaway rigs you allude to, I would like to be able to sus them out and give them a go.
Apparently they facilitate maximum casting distance, should the situation demand it.
Cheers.

were-trout
17-12-2006, 07:51 AM
G'day mate. I never had much luck fishing off the beach in the UK (so what's new) but my old 12-foot rod still sits in my folks' house in scotland waiting for another hitout.

have a look at this rig

http://www.btinternet.com/~kevin.l.j.knight/pulley.htm

it shows the bait clip down near the sinker.

It will give you extra casting distance as it keeps the bait from flying around in the air. the emphasis in a lot of UK beach fishing is in firing it out long distances in pretty nasty weather. its not like here where the fish can be almost at yr feet.

if you search on 'UK beach casting' or similar you will find plenty more. good luck

Ben

CHRIS_aka_GWH
17-12-2006, 08:51 AM
you should be able to rig a pillie in the time taken to declip and reclip

Yeah I can, but pulling 3 hooks out of the tailors throat is what takes the time!

thats why I use my teeth too #;D

I understand what you meant now and yes, that would definitely be quicker. I use single hooks and strip baits. Shorter wire traces with free running rigs.

Thanks Feral and Chris for your replies.
I use the clips that you do Feral, makes changing rigs very quick and easy.
Yes Chris, I am talking here about the breakaway rigs you allude to, I would like to be able to sus them out and give them a go.
Apparently they facilitate maximum casting distance, should the situation demand it.
Cheers.

i get New Zealand Fishing News - its a tabloid format not unlike B'nB. They do some interesting things over there (not just to the sheep). They we doing knife-jigs years before Aus started getting into it. They jig weighted feather jigs for snapper etc - kite fishing, kontikis etc

nigelr
17-12-2006, 09:38 AM
Thanks Ben and Chris, your helpful info is much appreciated.
A perfect afternoon for a little research...........
Cheers and thanks again!

HST
17-12-2006, 01:43 PM
you dont need much to make a quick clip down ,its quite simple get a number 4 french style hook ,cut the barb and point off it ,tie it on to a heavy line with a snood you need the curve of the hook at the top of the tag end ,now tie your lead on and tie a brass ring about 2 or 3 foot up ,you can tie up a few of them ,all you have to do i tie what ever weight line you want to use to your hook to the ring and make sure you have this a few inches shorter than the heavy line ,simply slide the cut hook to a point where you can take a small amount of weight off the heavy line when the two hooks are put together ,when this hits the water the dropper with the bait will release and hang free from the heavy line with the lead on it ,i will put some photos on this tonight ,

NeilD
17-12-2006, 02:57 PM
Looking forward to the pics HST

I saw some rigs in use a few years back based on the breakaway rigs. About 300 knots, crimps, beads and plastic bits that had to be carefully rigged at home. A simple clip rig would be great to help reach some of the wider gutters or out back of the outer bank

Cheers

Neil

HST
17-12-2006, 05:23 PM
http://img343.imageshack.us/img343/9269/dcp02763hp2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img343.imageshack.us/img343/663/dcp02762er0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img343.imageshack.us/img343/2834/dcp02761xa0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

i used a piece of stainless spring wire in stead of a cut down hook in this one ,
you bait the hook first then hook the two together where the barb is exposed thru the bait works well with gangs as well,

nigelr
17-12-2006, 05:39 PM
Thanks HST for the excellent photos.
The spring idea is very interesting. Is it just 'whipped' to the main line?
Definitely food for thought, how did you find the bite detection and hookup rate with the paternoster?
Cheers.

HST
17-12-2006, 06:52 PM
Its tied on with a snood ,the good thing about this you can use 4 lbs to 400 lbs on the leader to your hook

rockfisho
21-12-2006, 09:04 AM
if you are using clips for tailor, i wouldn't attach it directly to the gang, because when they are really slashing around, they could bite the swivel and un-hook it, then hook up and pull it open.

but if you decide to use them for tailor, make sure they're black, or dip the brass ones briefly in acid. :)

i've never heard about extra casting distances achieved. but it sounds plausible, because the snap would allow the rig to become more streamline whilst in the air.

cheers rockfisho

grave41
21-12-2006, 10:35 PM
HST's rig is the easiest to make compared to a propper breakaway rig. Make 6 or more rigs before you go putting them in zip lock bags.Vary the length of the droppers so the float at different levels off the sea bed.They are very effective using wire gripping sinkers so when the tailor or fish bites the set up has enough flex in the set up to hook the fish for you without even touching the rod except to wind it in.
Graham