PDA

View Full Version : HELP PLEASE!

Dunnys4trout
17-12-2006, 04:05 PM
Bugger it all...i just got my first baitcaster(Saratoga Strada V40) and im buggerd if i can stop the mungrel from back lashing >:(...is there any tricks of the trade??? :-????....cause i could sure yous some help.

Cheers Guys!

Cody

Feral
17-12-2006, 04:14 PM
Set the spool tension so that when the lure is on, and the spool released, it does not quite drop towards the ground.

Also put your big fat thumb on the spool and keep it there while casting!

blaze
17-12-2006, 04:39 PM
I found braid easier than mono
cheers
blaze

budge
17-12-2006, 05:46 PM
Yep mate go to braid if you can, its easier to cast and 1000x easier to get rid of birdsnests. There are also little tricks to help get birdsnests out so your not sitting there for 10 minutes. Back the drag off and pull the line until you have tension on the knot. Now roll the spool forward with your thumb and find the peice of line that has the kinked loop, pull this loop out as far as you can. This should remove the knot, so now continue to strip the main line to remove the birds nest. Like feral said make sure you have set the tension according to what rig you have on make sure your at the point where it only begins to feed line when you freespool. Keep your thumb on the spool when learning, you wont get that distance or accuracy to start but it will stop the birdsnests until you get used to it. Hope that helps a little bit.

scoocer101
17-12-2006, 05:50 PM
Don't start off using braid because i learnt the hardway that braid is to valuable to waste. Start off with mono then when your confident enough switch to braid.

roydsy
17-12-2006, 06:15 PM
Some of the best Toga's I have ever gotten were from bird nests. I would cast and try and get into some rediculous places, then get loads of backlash and while unravelling the mess, booomm! A toga strikes my lure after it has been sitting there for 45-60 seconds.

Now that I rarely backlash, I quite often find myself counting to 30 after some casts before retrieving......

My biggest tip is flick heavy lures while practicing and always practice witht he wind behind you. Into the wind can be a real B1tch!!!!!1

Dunnys4trout
17-12-2006, 07:38 PM
;)Cheers guys

BilgeBoy
20-12-2006, 09:29 PM
Yep this sure can be frustrating...just in the process of learning this myself...and Yep it takes some practice. I had a similar post and here is what worked for me....

a. start with a practice lure (a little sinker about the weight of a lure)
b. Set your spool tension so that you have to just wiggle the tip of the rod for it to drop
c. Stop casting overhead like you are used to....starting flicking underarm...then work up.
d. you need to train your thumb to apply the correct pressure through the cast...it's called having an educated thumb!!
e. grab a chair and a "target"....garden pot etc...give yourself 5-7 meters and start flicking...its all in the wrist and the thumb pressure.

I still get the odd small nest....I would practice with mono first and then move to braid...Why? the Briad tends to overrun a lot easier. Keep at it...practice in the back yard and you will be on your way...Good luck :) :) :)

BilgeBoy

saurian
20-12-2006, 10:49 PM
Bilge Boy , well done .
Dunny think bilge has already said it all.
Now when you get the hang of it , practice in the backyard or park at night...!!!!
Birdsnests are mongrels in the dark, ask me I'm good at them.
Ta

ern
21-12-2006, 07:28 PM
Have been using baitsater reels for around thirty years, still get overruns. If you don't you're not trying hard enought. I still find it easier to get overruns out of braid than mono, just don't pull it tight when you start to remove it. Slow and easy and it will come out. The only times you will get problems is if you didn't put it on at the right tension to start and allowed it to be come loose during retrieves. Don't just let the lure create the tension when winding back on, you do need to add a bit with finger and thumb on light lures.

devocean
21-12-2006, 07:53 PM
Dont cast into the wind number one rule

mitch_05
24-12-2006, 07:45 PM
Dad is making me learn the hard way with my first so i have mono on mine. I have improved alot and can now cast relatively accurately and at a reasonable distance. i am learning how i feel comfortable then i will move on to casting side-arm or casting left handed so i dont have to change hands. I think the most important thing is make sure your comfortable with your casting style and try the advanced stuff later.

wayne_cook
26-12-2006, 02:11 PM
one thing I didn't see mentioned throw upwards.
Don't throw at the target throw high and let the lure or casting object fall down to the target.
Less backlash probs this way,as u get better u can be more direct with ur casting.
One moe thing practice,practice,practice,practice,practice.