PDA

View Full Version : Mackeral Rigs

cbs
26-12-2006, 11:31 AM
Hi all,

I'm fairly new to targeting these guys and would like some advice on line weights. Been mostly targeting with baits and livies. Not really into throwing chunks of metal at them at this point.

I've been using a 15 lb mono, (smoked colour brand is Mozoo?- could check but its raining at the moment) which seems ok to me, but now it is a little on the damaged side, with a few dubious areas. I currently plan to simply replace with the remainder of the same I have already, or I could get something else.

What are you guys using?

cbs

backhoe
26-12-2006, 12:40 PM
What sort of Mackeral are you fishing for as this will change the answers you get.

cbs
26-12-2006, 01:11 PM
Sorry, my bad.

Basically what I've been seeing on moreton bay, ie spotties.

cbs

BilgeBoy
26-12-2006, 03:00 PM
6 KG Mono....And I just got a good handful of slugs at Budds Bait & Tackle....Made by a guy who writes for Bush & Beach I think!!!

BilgeBoy

Foolish_Chicken
26-12-2006, 04:30 PM
I'm using 12lb mono with a 60lb trace. Trace is about 1m long.

Cheers
Wags

roz
26-12-2006, 04:44 PM
when there are spotties around you will do very well casting slugs, now that's up north.

But down here around Coffs, it's common practice to anchor up burley, then feed out a pilchard in the current, no wieght at all, keep the bait moving, wind in feed, it out again etc etc....

When I go north and target blues (spanish) it's 100% towing dead baits.

If and when I get a live bait tank & down riggers in my boat, livies will be the go, no question.

I used to tow lures, when I changed to bait #my capture rate increased 10 fold, not joking.

The pro mackeral fishermen if at all possible will use livies, when they do, I've noticed they will out fish me by heaps. Having said that, some days lures will win hands down, but rarely!

My favourite baits are>>>>> large gar, large choppper tailor, pike, slimies, bonito & horsies. In despairate times I've been successful with grinners and whiting.

As for line weights, I use both mono and braid, and prefer 15kg. I think it's better to use one or the other when towing, reason being braid will sink faster than mono, when turning the boat lines can cross over if you're using both at the same time, so be careful.

for spotties 6-8kg is ample.

Do you need info on rigs?

Hope this helps

r.

cbs
26-12-2006, 05:37 PM
Sounds like I am on the money when it comes to the main line, and have no problems getting hits.

I have been using balloons with a bait suspended below, with success for this.

I originally used a 50lb mono leader maybe 750mm long, but kept getting bitten off, so have changed to wire. Problem is, I have also been getting bitten at the top of the trace (swivel) and thus getting bitten off again.

I am now going to experiment, by addiing a short length of wire trace (self made - welded) about 100mm long, then attached to a long heavy mono leader about 3 metres or so. Reasoning is to move the swivell attaching it to the main line far away from the bait, and closer to the float in order to reduce being bitten off.

How am I doing?

cbs. PS, Really only talking baited rigs here, I find my body does not like cast and retrieve of slugs. Besides, from what I can tell on the water, I seem to be getting far more hits than those chucking the metal around. I am just having a few problems keeping them on the hook.

Foolish_Chicken
26-12-2006, 07:50 PM
Just wondering if you are using black or brass swivels.

Foolish_Chicken
26-12-2006, 07:55 PM
If you are getting bitten off near the main line, my thoughts would be that you're using the brass swivels. I could be wrong though.

Wags

Cheech
26-12-2006, 09:15 PM
Instead of connecting your leader via a swivel, try joining it with a leader knot. Not sure what is suitable for mono/mono. May be ok with a double uni.

Jeremy
27-12-2006, 06:10 AM
Instead of connecting your leader via a swivel, try joining it with a leader knot. Not sure what is suitable for mono/mono. May be ok with a double uni.

ditto to that. Ditch the swivel and double uni knot is good for mono to mono.

Jeremy

cbs
27-12-2006, 07:17 AM
I've been using the black swivels.

I'll have to look up the double uni knot and try it.

Thanks all.

cbs