PDA

View Full Version : Spin outfit for Barra

RayB
27-12-2006, 11:06 AM
I currently have a few baitcaster combos for barra fishing but I am looking for a spin outfit that would be suitable for barra fishing. My motivation is that I would like to give the outfit to a newbie who might not be able to cast a baitcaster real well.

Also, as it is a spare combo I am looking suggestions in the cheap end of the market if that is possible for barra fishing.

cheers
Raymond

zach
27-12-2006, 11:58 AM
hey mate the new starlo snapper rod or the squidgy barra rod shoud be alright cost around $100 or less and a shimano x age 4000 size
cheers
zach

davo
27-12-2006, 04:36 PM
Impoundment or Salty barra? I have a Daiwa Procyon 10-14lb spin rod which is 6ft long and it's fantastic as a mangrove jack/barra rod. I've used in Weipa when the winds were up and threw poppers at barra when a baitcaster would be down for the count. The reel would be something from 3000 size to 4000. At present it has a Daiwa Caldia 4000 on it and on it's maiden voyage nailed a 90cm Moreton bay snapper on a plastic ( see estury reports). The other alternative is a Squidgy barra spin or some of the Team Daiwa Advantages are good too.

RayB
27-12-2006, 09:55 PM
Impoundment or Salty barra? I have a Daiwa Procyon 10-14lb spin rod which is 6ft long and it's fantastic as a mangrove jack/barra rod. I've used in Weipa when the winds were up and threw poppers at barra when a baitcaster would be down for the count. The reel would be something from 3000 size to 4000. At present it has a Daiwa Caldia 4000 on it and on it's maiden voyage nailed a 90cm Moreton bay snapper on a plastic ( see estury reports). The other alternative is a Squidgy barra spin or some of the Team Daiwa Advantages are good too.

Impoundment Barra will be the prey. Thanks for both replies and the useful info

Steve_B
29-12-2006, 08:23 PM
I saw a bloke at Awoonga who had a stradic 4000 with 30lb fireline (not sure what rod) for his wife who couldn't use a baitcaster. She caught may big fish casting edges and trolling. He was a bit worried when he bought it for her thinking it wouldn't hold up, but it performed exceptionally well.