PDA

View Full Version : will my reel handle frigate

ANGLERnotDANGLER
02-01-2007, 08:38 AM
gday all,

ive got a twin power 1000 and was using it for some light tackle fun on the first frigate of the season yesterday. it handled it pretty well but just wondering if too much of this type of fishing would be a bit much for it as these fish were just screaming my little reel

Jeremy
02-01-2007, 11:18 AM
I have been catching a few frigate mackerel recently. Mostly they have been less than 0.5 kg, so they come in pretty easy.

What size frigates have you been getting?

Don't specifically know that reel, but I would think it will be fine for small tuna on light line.

Jeremy

ANGLERnotDANGLER
02-01-2007, 01:53 PM
i havent been weighing them but id say that be up near the kilo mark. great fun

cammac
04-01-2007, 10:47 PM
If your reel is like other 1000 size reels its more suited for freshwater and estuary work I would tend to think u may be overworking a small reel like that on hard running fish I guess the drag would be the most vunerable as it would be working quite hard. but then again what the heck :)

Jeremy87
05-01-2007, 07:36 PM
Have chased frigate on my 1000 stradic a couple of times, my mate has done the same with his for fish up to 2-3kgs with a couple of 5-6kg mack tuna thrown in and his reel is borderline rubbish bin material. the stradic has alot of plastic as internals to keep the weight down. i'm not sure if the twin power is the same but basically if it is then it will be raped after a season of good use.

ANGLERnotDANGLER
05-01-2007, 07:41 PM
yeah thats what i was thinking, i wouldnt really want to be doing it too much. thanks for the input guys