PDA

View Full Version : Pflueger reels / rods?????

kind_cir
31-12-2006, 03:26 PM
Was looking at these reels and rods and thought they were good for the price.
Has anyone got one and can tell me if they are good or bad.

bidkev
31-12-2006, 07:24 PM
30 or so years ago pfleuger reels were top notch in Europe and then they simply dissapeared off the market as Penn brought out new models and Abu hit the shelves.

Can't help with regards to the current models but my guess is that what was once top notch, was beaten by competion that was better and pfleuger are now trying to re-establish themselves in a different part of the market ie budget (targeting fishos with limited resources or those who won't punish their tackle).

The cheaper penn combos are similarly priced.

kev

OISTA
01-01-2007, 12:04 PM
My SP outfit is a 7 foot graphite pfluger with a shimano stradic. I reckon the pfluger rod is awesome. No experiance with there glass gear or reels though.

Tim_01
01-01-2007, 04:31 PM
hey noboat,

I've owned a Pfluger trion gx-7 spin reel for a year now, it's caught plenty of fish in both salt and fresh and i've had no problems with it. An excellent reel for the price, i use it for bream, bass, flatties etc. I've also just recently bought a pflueger echelon baitcaster, and although i havent used it enough to comment on it's quality/reliability it casts very well and comes with a 5 year warranty, i'm happy so far ;)

Tim.

Far_Canal
01-01-2007, 05:54 PM
i own 2 rods, 7ft 2-5kg which is awesome on bream and flatties, excellent quality guides and blank, such a great rod convinced me to buy a 6-10kg stick aswell, again, awesome guides and great quality rod all round

bert
04-01-2007, 06:43 AM
I have had a pflueger president spin reel for 18 months with 4 pound braid on it .It has a been great the drag is still smooth as. I have just bought a trion 6ft 6 spin rod that i used for the first time the other day on flatties had a ball with it.

cheers Rob

DaMaGe
04-01-2007, 08:07 PM
I made a comment on another thread similiar to this one stating that I was happy with my Pflueger outfit of rod n reel under 7ft I used for Soft Plastics. ($119.00 from Tackleworld Underwood) It is good and was good however I remain a little dissapointed that this Tuesday upon rigging the line through the eye outlets (runners) and pulling the line down "under tension of the light drag" to hook up a jighead, the tip of the rod snapped effortlessly.

I have owned it for a month, and caught 3 Flathead, 3 Estuary Cod and 2 Silver trevally with SP's up in a creek in Tin Can Bay, to say I am suprised the tip snapped off in my hands with no aparent pressure (it broke on the second runner) was a major suprise, I had kept the tip of the rod as I going to talk to Tackleworld about my experience however when cleaning the boat out I am unable to locate the part that has snapped off, so will not bother to whinge about my poor fortune, instead I hope to place a new tip on the end of it and give it to my 3 year old daughter setup with a small Alvey reel for her fishing experience. The reel is fine, but I would have expected the rod to have been a little stronger. I think I may avoid future purchases of Pflueger and perhaps pickup a Berkley dropshot rod next time.

Don't let my experience rub off on you in a bad way, just telling you as it was. I had 2 other men in the boat with me upon the time I cracked the rod, and I have nothing but bragged how well the rod had handled with the 2 COD of 51cm and 48cm up at the Tin Can Bay with 6lb mono, I guess the joke was on me.

It was a bad day as my Anchor chain was also smashed when trying to pick it up off the bottom at Mud Island on Tuesday, for no real reason, the bottom is just coral but that's another story.

So Pflueger, well I was extremely happy with it, but was a short experience of just a month.

Far_Canal
04-01-2007, 08:33 PM
the flueger has much better quality guides compared to the drop shots.

its also a more sensitive and has a smoother taper than the dropshots.

DaMaGe: It sounds like it was maybe user error that resulted in your top breaking. graphite rods are very sensitive to loads that exceed 45 degree of angle, to put it simply, the graphite bends back on itself and hence makes it significantly weeker, thats just graphite for ya.

bigjimg
09-01-2007, 08:58 PM
Gidday noboat
I've got the pflueger plf trion 66 overhead setup on a
uglystik black tiger 6kg outfit and have taken plenty o macks and school
sharks ,overall pretty happy. am now in the process of getting the matching rod a 7ft 7-10 kg stic just waiting for the store to get more stock.already got a 6ft6 sp outfit that hasn't been blooded yet ,can't wait.
jimbo

Roo
10-01-2007, 10:18 AM
I've got a Pflueger trion atificial bait series 7 ft 4-7kg rod. teamed up with a trion 66 round baitcaster. I filled it with 50lb braid and locked up the drag and took it to monduran last year. work well and survived the trip with one mid size(87cm) fish to its name from the sticks. the round baicaster is a bit heavy for casting all day would make an excellent trolling combo. the longer rod was a bit of a handfull in the sticks for me, but that may be because i'm a bit shortish myself. probably prefer a 6'- 6'3" rod myself. would prefer a low profile reel as is much more comfortable for long casting sessions. not sure if thr trion LP reel would cope, check out the Penn Jack eskine model for a good budget barra reel.

cheers, roo.