PDA

View Full Version : Tackleback with Jack Erskine Twisted Leader

NormC
10-01-2007, 11:24 AM
Guys, I always carry my trusty Tackleback and it has saved me a fortune in lures. It a bugger to use on a windy day when fishing alone, but that's another story.

For heavy barra fishing around the sticks I make up and use the Jack Erskine type of twisted leader. For those not familiar, the leader is doubled and twisted for about 200mm up from the lure. A crimp is used to hold the double with a plastic bead on top to prevent the crimp from pulling through or damaging the tip of the rod.

Now, I'm figuring the bead and crimp will prevent the Tackleback from sliding all the way down the line to hook on a snagged lure. Anyone use this sort of leader and have a solution?

I could change the leader set up, but so far I'm real happy with it. Never had one break, but then I haven't yet hooked a 1 metre + monster in the sticks :'(

I've thought of addiding some chain to the tackleback. I guess this would have to be about 250mm long. Could I just slip this over the cord and have it sit on top of the Tackleback? Not sure how effective it would be, but some lure retrievers use chains, so the idea is probably sound, if not the application.

Any suggestions?

nofrills
10-01-2007, 11:52 AM
Ive got a video here with Jack Erskine barra fishing on it and they use a tackle back that is like a big long aluminium pole that screws together.One of the guys on the video is Ed Vander Kruk who is at a tackle shop in tewantin called either ''Hooked on Outdoors ''or ''Hooked on angling''or something like that.Ill bet you can get one from there.

If you really want one and cant source it PM me and ill watch the video cause im pretty sure they advertise them on it.

cheers scotty

NormC
10-01-2007, 12:42 PM
This the one Scotty?

This the one Scotty. Certainly a possibility, but more than 10 times the cost of my current Tackleback brand one.

The Strikeback would be much faster in some cases though, which means less lost fishing time.

Poseidon
10-01-2007, 03:32 PM
I have recently gone to the twisted leader for impoundment barra as you describe and have success in removing lures using an extension pole with the stainless 'pigs tail' on the end. Fully extended and with your arms length it gets you down to around 4 metres. The pigs tail gets around the bead without any drama, over the bib lure and up she comes with the pole.

As for the Tackleback....I could never get it to work even prior to going with the twisted leader. The wire at the front would often open, or the lead would twist around the line and as you say not worth a cracker in the wind.

With the pole, you motor over the snagged lure, drop the pole down the line and Bob's your uncle.

Regards Cameron