PDA

View Full Version : I surrender

PinHead
13-12-2006, 07:21 PM
I started fishing many years back, using an alvey reel and cane rods. Then went to fibreglass rods.

Now....I have bought a new rod, one of these so called outstanding reels (bloody spinning thing)...plus braid line on them and also the plastics...

WELL...all I have to say is..stuff it all...going to stick with what I know...back to the alvey and the mono line.

Hell...I cannot even tie a bloody knot to join the mono to the braid...I think I am too old to be taught new tricks...I just want to relax when I go fishing not use high technology rods n reels...outta my league...must be the aging..poor old me cannot learn the new crap.

NeilD
13-12-2006, 07:42 PM
Greg, stick with it. Just tie an albright straight from braid to leader then everything as usual. If I can get the hang of this stuff then anyone can.

Neil

revs57
13-12-2006, 08:23 PM
Nah let the old bugger suffer in his jocks so we can catch all the fish Neil....He just sits on the back of that flash thing with a bare hook on the end of a line suckin a subbie anyway to pass the time to make it look like he's doin the right thing...isn't that right Greg?

BTW Greg I've passed the info on and are awaiting a reply from those who make the decisions...

Go back to the alvey and mono mate, better the devil you know.....

Cheers

Rhys

BilgeBoy
13-12-2006, 11:06 PM
Hey Pinhead

I got a great DVD from Berkley that is easy to follow....Happy to lend you that for a while!! Sounds like you got the time to practice! ;D

I got it after about 2 goes....Bini Twist in the Braid and then double uni to the mono....

Im in the Redlands if ya want that DVD

finga64
14-12-2006, 10:15 AM
Is it possible for me to borrow that DVD matey.
The cook works down there.
Please..... ;)
I'm another pinhead....love the Alvey,
Have all the other flash colourfull crap but always go back to old faithfull....the $5 4' Alvey.
I've never had a hit on a plastic let alone catch a fish :P

blaze
14-12-2006, 10:40 AM
come on fellows, dont give up.
These soft plastic things have gotta be fished with
FINESSE
best tip I can give you is how I fish these things
50lb braid tied directly to a snap swivel, joined to a swivel which is attached to a 60lb patanosta rig swinging 12 ounze snapper leader, now hook size is all important here, size 6/0, Yeh I here ya, WTF. Well my theory is that drifting along in boat of choice with this FINESSE rig, with plastic of choice atached to 6/0 hooks the sinker creates a disturbance in the sand and alert the flatties to the wriggle bit of plastic on my hook and bang oh, more often or not I bring in 2 at a time using this FINNESE system. I often also swap the lower plastic for a bait for the chance to catch a gummy. If I cant 20 or 30 like this they are shut down.
The Moral of this tale is always remember the top fishos recommend FINESSE but they airnt always right
cheers
blaze
ps
Knock em out guys

finga64
14-12-2006, 03:35 PM
come on fellows, dont give up.
These soft plastic things have gotta be fished with
FINESSE
best tip I can give you is how I fish these things
50lb braid tied directly to a snap swivel, joined to a swivel which is attached to a 60lb patanosta rig swinging 12 ounze snapper leader, now hook size is all important here, size 6/0, Yeh I here ya, WTF. Well my theory is that drifting along in boat of choice with this FINESSE rig, with plastic of choice atached to 6/0 hooks the sinker creates a disturbance in the sand and alert the flatties to the wriggle bit of plastic on my hook and bang oh, more often or not I bring in 2 at a time using this FINNESE system. I often also swap the lower plastic for a bait for the chance to catch a gummy. If I cant 20 or 30 like this they are shut down.
The Moral of this tale is always remember the top fishos recommend FINESSE but they airnt always right
cheers
blaze
ps
Knock em out guys
Blaze, maaaate. There's just one small detail in the little scenario that will stuff me up.
I can use a 12 oz sinker and 2 6/0's and rig it so it looks like a patanosta but it's not called a patanosta, it's called a reef anchor for me ;D

webby
14-12-2006, 04:53 PM
Why dont you give up all together and stick with the white thongs ;D or i no someone hiring blokes for mammagram testing ;D
regards

blaze
14-12-2006, 04:53 PM
Thats only for 50m deep, maybe able to drop to 8 ounze for 20m
cheers
blaze

PinHead
14-12-2006, 05:41 PM
Why dont you give up all together and stick with the white thongs ;D or i no someone hiring blokes for mammagram testing ;D
regards

LOL webby..I am always open to the mammogram testing position.

I won't ever give up fishing..I can catch fish on bait but the other stuff seems like a con job.

Lucky_Phill
14-12-2006, 06:02 PM
Why did you even attempt to convert yourself to the New Technologies when the old ways are working well. ????

I am surprized you are even using a rod, I thought a fella of your vintage would have been fishing with handlines :-X ;D ;D

Does the Mothership even have rod holders ??????/ ::) ::)

Catch up soon.

Phill

hardb8
14-12-2006, 07:57 PM
Hi Pin,
Where abouts in the country are you?If ya close by I may be able to help.

There are alot of DVD's and web sites on knots,Then there's the good old fashioned book,This is where I learnt alot of the braid era knots from in front of the box.I'm thinkin this may be more your style as well?

If ya to far away for a one on one knot session,I'm willing ta post ya an older copy of Geoff Wilsons' Knot's and Rigs if ya want it?Yours for free to keep,And to do with what you will.It has all the relevant knots you seek to learn.

I reckon ya never to old ta learn.....And it is unAustralian to give up.

M8,If I can help,Let me know.

Regards hardb8. ;)

Bates_Motel
14-12-2006, 08:03 PM
Greg I have that dvd to so when you catch up on your jobs I mite lend it to you. ;)
Or be like me and pratice at work after all i do stuf all else ;D

candogu
14-12-2006, 08:05 PM
Pinhead,,,, if you can work will Bates_Motel :o then you can master 1 or 2 knots and SP's ;D ;D

PinHead
14-12-2006, 08:37 PM
Pinhead,,,, if you can work will Bates_Motel :o then you can master #1 or 2 knots and SP's ;D ;D

I do not work with him..I just attend the same job sites...you just have to be very quiet on his job sites..he is so bloody grumpy if you wake him up.

3 Ausfishers on the site yesterday...stuff all got done for a while..just fishing talk and bates-motel yarn about his jack.

roz
14-12-2006, 09:06 PM
regards

LOL webby..I am always open to the mammogram testing position.

I won't ever give up fishing..I can catch fish on bait but the other stuff seems like a con job.

Are they hiring blokes with MAN BREASTS or what?????? :o

PinHead
17-12-2006, 09:41 AM
Nah let the old bugger suffer in his jocks so we can catch all the fish Neil....He just sits on the back of that flash thing with a bare hook on the end of a line suckin a subbie anyway to pass the time to make it look like he's doin the right thing...isn't that right Greg?

BTW Greg I've passed the info on and are awaiting a reply from those who make the decisions...

Go back to the alvey and mono mate, better the devil you know.....

Cheers

Rhys

Rhys, If I am having a stubbie..bugger the fishing....I am one of those that have not been blessed with a great deal of patience...if at first you don't succeed...spit the dummy and chuck the crap away.

tigermullet
14-01-2007, 04:10 AM
Pinhead - #I am with you. #Years ago a few people tried to get me interested in all those new fangled rods and reels. #The rods were too short and the reels could not get through one fishing trip without jamming. over running etc., and I found that it was impossible to 'feel' the fish. # One trip to the surf and all of the reels were immediately dumped into the rubbish bin on returning home.

Powdery sand or even a build up salt on the line and that's the end of them for the day.

Back to the old 10ft 6in bream rod with a 5 or 6 inch Alvey reel. #Bliss. #One bream after another off the boat and the combination works well enough in the surf if I forget to pack the surf rod.

My mate uses that fancy gear and has persisted for years without success. Why he puts up with it is beyond me - baitcasters, eggbeaters etc., all forever giving problems. #

One night last winter when we were bream fishing every one of his reels gave problems. They look pretty and I have to give him credit for the amount of maintenance he does on them - all to no avail.

No problems from my Alvey and I had been fishing for one week before he arrived. #Hadn't cleaned it either.

Was it a lesson for him? #I hope so - he caught 5 bream and my score was over 35. #Such a pity because it was a session that should have topped one hundred very easily but so much time was wasted in sorting out the high tech gear.

Combine that fancy gear with clips to save a few seconds when changing hooks and then add a metal spiral thingy for changing sinkers and the bream will have a good feed but you won't.