PDA

View Full Version : poppers

tincanpeter
13-01-2007, 11:35 AM
Steve Starling on ABC Radio this AM was talking about surface poppers for whiting Bream Flathead etc. Stated he is catching heaps including a 80 + cm flathead. Unfortunately no further descriptions. Does anyone know the types of poppers for the above fish. :-? :-? :-?

spiderbite
13-01-2007, 11:51 AM
Guys Down south have a lot of luck around the oyster racks with the River2Sea Bubble Popper 45.

Cheers

warrior
13-01-2007, 12:13 PM
we use all types of poppers in and around moreton bay and in all designs and makes and get fish regularly ,i think it is a matter of putting them over the fish that are looking for a feed and being in the right place when the tides suit that area,we have got good flathead up to 830mm bream ,dart,pike,trevally,no whiting though.

TinarooTriumph
13-01-2007, 12:16 PM
I saw an article on this in one of the 2006 Fishing World magazine's. Captain Kevin Gleed started it off... Reckons he caught a whiting on a popper, and ventured into trying to get more hook up's from Bread and Butter species like Whiting, Bream, Flathead etc. Just go out and buy poppers and try things (Thats how I do it!). Rapala Skitterpops are the best popper around, and the Rebel's are also good. I brought myself a few Berkely Frenzy poppers this morning... They look the goods, and for $5 a pop you cant lose.

Archer
13-01-2007, 12:36 PM
Have been using poppers alot over the past few months. Infact this very morning we spent a few hours on the poppers for alot of small bream one decent one and a small jack.
Its not like using poppers for Trevs or any other speester...Use them SLOW
pop pop let it sit for 10,20 even 30 secs and repeat. Its not uncommon to have 20 or more bream all sitting under it swiping at the lure to see what it is. You get alot of missed hits and for the most part can forget trying to "hook" the fish. Just let them take it and swim off then gently lift the rod tip.(you need quality lures with SHARP hooks)
River to sea bubble pops are good ive been using the kookaburra cicada fizzer mostly and thats a top lure. Theres plenty of other great surface lures just buy what you like the look of and give them a try. Early morning or late afternoon seems the best or Night time of course but nights alot harder as you cant see them take the lure...Mind you you sure hear when a good one takes it. ;D
Dont be afraid to go up in sizes either a small bream will still have a crack at a 80mm popper....But for more hookups sometihng in the 40mm range is the go. ;)

Joe

Whiting on above mentioned kookaburra lure.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v125/Archer/firstfish.jpg

Gator
13-01-2007, 05:03 PM
Anything small

Pistol_Pete
13-01-2007, 08:19 PM
As the fellow mentioned above Rapala Skitterpops are an awesome lure....they catch everything...even caught whiting on them.Cheers Pete

tincanpeter
14-01-2007, 06:44 AM
Thank you all for your information. I would like to try them the Tin Can Bay end of the sandy straits.
Cheers
Peter ;D ;D ;D

fish_on
14-01-2007, 01:11 PM
number 1 popper in my opinion are the owner gobo poppers.only get nthem at tackle world stores but mate ive caught so many fish on them. whiting bream flathead trevs queenies. storm cug bugs and river to sea bubble pops

Pistol_Pete
14-01-2007, 01:34 PM
number 1 popper in my opinion are the owner gobo poppers.only get nthem at tackle world stores but mate ive caught so many fish on them. whiting bream flathead trevs queenies. storm cug bugs and river to sea bubble pops.....

....ARRGGGHHH DO SOME WORK WILL YA!!!!........ :P :P :P ;D ;D ;D.....CLEAN UP THAT BACK ROOM!!!

fish_on
14-01-2007, 01:49 PM
your a clown pistol. nice photo. use another popper will ya. ha ha