PDA

View Full Version : rod for barra

B.F.A.
08-01-2007, 06:21 PM
I have got a rod that is 4-7 kg will this do for barra.

Matt

RayB
09-01-2007, 09:18 AM
I'm no expert but every magazine I pickup suggests that 6-10kg rods are the way to go. I picked up a 1.1m barra on a 6-10k rod and I wouldn't have wanted anything lighter.

cheers
Raymond

nuggstar
09-01-2007, 01:53 PM
is it a spin/flick rod or a bait caster. i have a 2-5kg flick rod that go's hard on mid size barra (60cm-90cm) any thing bigger and i use my 6/8kg baitcast rod so i can put the pressure on those big 1m+ fish ;D

BrandonH
09-01-2007, 03:28 PM
I use an 8kg uglystick baitcaster for faust barra and have caught a few 1+ mtr barra using it matched with a abu 6400c4 loaded with 50lb braid and using a 80lb leader ;) I would't go a 10kg rod unless your planing to do more trolling than casting, casting even big lures with a 10kg rod isn't fun and you won't be able to land them where you want them to go :(

I like using the fiberglass rods on these big brutes rather than graphite because you can push the rod over 90 deg to get a fish up to the net rather than having to pump the rod and wind in more (and give the fish another chance to get you into the sticks!!) to keep the u-beaut graphite rods from imploding.

cheers
Brandon...

TinarooTriumph
10-01-2007, 01:31 PM
Hey Matt

A 4-7kg Pistol Grip (Baitcaster) Rod or a Spin Rod casting in open waters for Barra is fine, providing you don't fish anywhere near really hard thick structure e.g. Stands of Timber. You will be able to fight the fish with the rod, but you will have to go pretty easy on the fish if it's of good size. Good thing about a 4-7kg rod is you won't be able to exercise alot of height on the rod when the fight is on, and the load will keep the rod angle fairly low... Which keeps the fish under water, giving you a better chance of landing her. But you won't be able to cast any lures over 20g... You could If you wanted to but Id suggest you use lures under 20. Also, I wouldn't use any line over 30lb, otherwise your Rod is going to 69'er itself ;D . Nice low profile Daiwa reel or Abu with a tough drag would match it well...

But apart from that, she'll do the job.

rick_k
14-01-2007, 03:24 AM
off topic but Tinaroo triumph, which ABU has a tough drag?

Nuggstar, I was going to ask how you sort the fish by size so you know which rod to use, then I thought Lenthals v Monduran/Awoonga, and all became clear.

B.F.A./Matt, where are you fishing, what line and what lures? Or is it bait? Nuffink wrong with bait, caught good wild barra in the salt on bait, I d [smiley=bandana.gif] [smiley=bandana.gif]

TinarooTriumph
14-01-2007, 02:23 PM
Rick,

I have a fleet of Abu 6500C3's, and I find that their drag components and magnetic's are top notch. I know countless amounts of people that swear by these Abu Circular Baitcasters, and I will be one of those. 6500's are pretty bulky, But I have no problem twitching lures all day with the weight of the reel. 5600's are a good compact casting reel, if your looking for an Abu Id get one of em'. Match it with a 6-10kg rod and your in business...

rick_k
16-01-2007, 12:18 AM
dunno what happened to my typing at the end of my last post-operator error.

Tinaroo Triumph, my two 6500C3s are 15+ years old, but had the Erskine treatment about 4 years ago. They are too old to have magnetics (assume cast control?) Thanks for the info- I need to reconsider them. They were certainly 'the' barra reel in the 70s and 80s.

They always had reasonable drags, and the visit to Jack made them smoother. New up to date anti-reverse dogs as well.

I'll have to get the scales out. I had mentally put them in the flathead/yellowbelly/jack trolling category with 10-20lb braid, rather than a barra in timber class. Which now I read your post is exactly where you are coming from, with the 4-7 kg rod and max 15kg braid.

In saying that I had not put mine in the 'barra in timber class'. I suppose 7kg of drag as opposed to 2 or 3 or 4 isn't going to make much difference to a 25+kg fish in the sticks - and my HRF certainly does not pull 7 kg. (should I have hung out for the Zillion? :o)

Roo
16-01-2007, 09:15 AM
B.F.A.
I use a 4-7kg baitcaster. does the trick for me. I cast lures to the timber, locked drag, 50lb braid etc, etc it will handle it fine if you use right!!! that's the key, use it right. it will be light enough to flick lures into tight spots around the timber and easy to work the lure, however if you hold it up high on a fish........you will have a brand new, just modified, 2 piece rod.
The 50lb braid is more for abrasion resistance against the timber in the impoundments. Not much use in rocks or barnacles in the salt tho' as it will bust up as soon as it touches a sharp edge under load.
Keep the rod low, no more than 40 degree angle through the rod. and let the drag and your thumbs (you'll need them too!) apply the pressure. use the rod to steer only, not to pole the fish in.

I'm no expert. But i did a lot of reading before my first trip to monduran last year. I'd suggest you do the same.

cheers, Roo.

P.s. Sorry RayB, I pinched your "i'm no expert" line ;D