PDA

View Full Version : Stinger hooks on Slick Rigs

mikedel
07-01-2007, 08:49 PM
Could someone please help me by describing how they attach a stinger hook to a sq slick rig, a photo would be great.
Cheers

RayB
12-01-2007, 10:39 AM
BUMP, I would also like to know

cheers
Raymond

NormC
13-01-2007, 01:22 PM
Don't know about Slick Rigs, but here is what I sometimes do on spinner baits. Same principle should be sound for Slick Rigs.

Get some Siwash hooks. I use size 1 on spinner baits. You might want slightly bigger on a Slick Rig, not sure.
The Siwash has a larger eye than other hooks.

Slip the eye of the Siwash over the spinner bait or slick rig hook like making a gang. Now slip a very small bead over as well. This prevents the stinger hook from coming off.

This is quite effective on spinner baits as it puts the stinger right at the end of the skirt. Increases hook up rates if fish bite a bit short and would normally only be hitting the skirt.

On a Slick Rig, the stinger would run above the plastic, but would come back towards the tail with the same effect as on the spinnerbait.

Having not used this method on a Slick Rig, I'm not certain of the effect, but I would think it would work.

Tony_N
13-01-2007, 02:34 PM
I have just modified this post. #The drawing of the rig I put up just didn't make any sense. Apologies :P

Tony

NormC
13-01-2007, 05:40 PM
Ok, I'll try posting a couple of pics of the set up I described above. They are of an 80mm Slick Rig and a Spinnerbait. Not great pics, but you'll get the idea. On the slick rig the Size 1 hook would fit on the 80mm, but not bigger, so a larger hook would be necessary.

NormC
13-01-2007, 05:42 PM
Spinnerbait:

banshee
13-01-2007, 06:52 PM
A few pics of SP stingers,a sliding knot/hitch is made in the loop and is placed over the protruding hook then the locking bead is snuged up and the stinger is put in place with the small retaining barb/hook.Prety sure these are a Gamakatsu product.

banshee
13-01-2007, 06:57 PM
another.

banshee
13-01-2007, 06:58 PM
last one.

Tony_N
14-01-2007, 06:43 AM
OK, since I have been PM'd on this, I'll repost the rig I drew. I pulled it off because I couldn't work out how I had thought I'd fit it on the plastic in the first place. ie how to insert the first hook with the glue in place. Anyway it dawned on me afterwards that you attach the second hook after inserting the first hook in the body of the lure. A decent memory is a transient thing :P. I drew it up as a solution to losing the back half of Javallons to tail biters. I've never actually used the rig.

Roo
15-01-2007, 09:35 AM
Has anyone noticed that slick rigs have a B :oum hole? I spotted this when i was goofing around with some spare hooks from some deceased slick rigs. I had cut some lead weight off and was refitting to a 100mm tail and noticed it then. I manage to push the shank of a size 1 treble up thru the B :oum hole and slip it over the point of the jig hook. when the jig hook is in place, it all sits neatly below the plastic although it won't swing as the shank is partially buried up the B :oum of the poor little slick rig ;D

Not perfect, needs work.

cheers roo.

Roo
16-01-2007, 09:48 AM
:-[ i took some photos last night.......but forgot to bring the camera to work:-[

Roo
17-01-2007, 11:21 AM
here goes. hope these pics work.

Roo
17-01-2007, 11:23 AM
Hooray!! It worked

RayB
17-01-2007, 11:44 AM
Interesting stuff orbyroo! I am wondering if you have used this configuration as the only problem I see is that the lure might get easily caught if running close to structure or along the bottom.

cheers
Raymond

Roo
17-01-2007, 12:55 PM
Interesting stuff orbyroo! I am wondering if you have used this configuration as the only problem I see is that the lure might get easily caught if running close to structure or along the bottom.

cheers
Raymond

nope! all untried to date. Yes definatly could improve the chances of hooking Something....other than the intended target :( although the idea would be to run this around the edges of weed beds to avoid just that from happening.

Needs work or suggestions.

cheers, roo.

keepitreel
17-01-2007, 02:09 PM
Maybe you could attach the stinger to the main hook with a good quality swivel which will enable it to swing freely from the rear end of your slicks.

Tony_N
17-01-2007, 02:15 PM
Hey roo, if you wanted the treble to swing it would be fairly easy to haywire twist a bit of single strand wire between the front hook and the eye of the treble. You could still insert via the same anatomical orifice.

just noticed keepits post - not a bad idea You'd probly need a split ring to join the swivel to the treble

Tony

Roo
17-01-2007, 02:19 PM
I reckon the wire would be better, but do you need it to swing around??? maybe better to be semi locked in position

Tony_N
17-01-2007, 02:54 PM
I reckon the wire would be better, but do you need it to swing around??? maybe better to be semi locked in position

I reckon it'd be better swinging. Most hardbodied lures have swinging trebles rather than fixed hooks (could be just manufacturers convenience though I s'pose) - and also I'd like to see it a bit further back on the lure. I had some Javallons that kept getting the area behind the hook nipped off. If it swung it could be further back without affecting the action of the tail.

I should be fishing

Tony

Roo
17-01-2007, 03:07 PM
I should be fishing

Tony

don't worry, I should be working :)

coastrunner
18-01-2007, 03:03 PM
Have a look at this one it may work...