PDA

View Full Version : Daiwa Viento

serene_lady
14-01-2007, 09:21 PM
Thinking about getting a Viento and was wondering if anyone else has used one and if the twitching bar is an advantage. Seems to be a very nice reel. Bob.

BrandonH
15-01-2007, 10:54 AM
Hi bob,

I don't have one myself but did use one out the back of a tackle store a few months ago and was very happy with the feel of the reel (as good as any other slim line baitcaster I have ever tried!!). the twitching bar is a nice touch that would make retriving softplastics very easy!! well for that sort of retirve anyways. it actually retrives a lot more line per twitch than I was expecting. It creates a great flathead retrive I reckon ;)

Only thing that I don't like about it is that you wouldn't be able to use light plastics (all baitcasters really) because you can't cast them easily!! and the price tag #:o (when i saw them anyways).

Cheers N
Tight lines

Brandon...

gav73
15-01-2007, 11:40 AM
My girlfriend has had one for a while now and really likes it. #The twitchin bar can be a little painful: it doesn't take up THAT much line, but is also handy for taking up the slack or putting the reel into gear without touching the handle... #It handled the meter plus barra she was catching at Peter Faust over christmas without a drama! #;D

Gav

serene_lady
15-01-2007, 09:24 PM
Brandon, Yes mate it is a very nice reel and the price is up a bit but I would say if it was looked after it should last quite a few years. Gav I was wondering what size line your girlfriend has on her reel. I was thinking of putting 8kg Platupus LO-Stretch on. Thanks for the replies. Bob.

gav73
16-01-2007, 04:18 PM
Bob,
She's running 30lb spiderwire at the moment Bob, but we're thinking of upgrading both our lines to try and slow the barra down once they head for the sticks!
Gav

Wyoming
19-01-2007, 08:09 AM
Hi S.L.,

You'll love the Viento, but the twitch'n bar is a bit of a waste of time when you are bay fishing. The reel itself is a real gem - smooth as silk and fitted with a top performig drag system and in my case, I'm running Jack Erskine's 12 lb braid. I fish plastics with it and I bait fish with it. A top reel.

Regards
Neil

Stumpy-USA
23-01-2007, 08:08 AM
Tried to post a respose and was cut off. So here goes again.

I use it mostly for shakey head rigs. A shakey head is a ball jig head ranging from 1/16 oz. to 3/8 oz. with a straight tail finesse worm weedless rigged on it. You cast it out, let it hit bottom, and them crawl it back to you with small twitches. You try to keep the worm on bottom and dancing by shaking the rod tip. The twitching bar is great for doing this. The only draw back is that the reel doesn't handle big fish well. The pull they give makes the reel hard to turn under load but since I use 6 to 8 lb. test line I can't really bully them in anyway. The reel is very smooth and casts light lures well when it is properly adjusted and oiled. I use a product called "Rocket Fuel" to oil my reels. It lets the spool turn to its full RPM and increases casting distance by about 30%. It will cause a few more "professional over-runs" until you get used to it. As far as durability goes, I have had no problems with the reel so far. At $200 I hope to not have any in the near future. I don't use braid on it mainly because my home lake has water that's as clear as glass, sometimes over 20 feet of visibility and the fish are very line shy. That's about all I can give. Hope it helps !

Stumpy