PDA

View Full Version : Daiwa 1500 exceller - Any good

Matthew_Stotty
10-01-2007, 06:03 PM
Hi there im just wondering if anyone else here has bought or used a daiwa exceller 1500 reel and if so are they worth buying. Im looking for a reel for soft plastics and I already have a pleuger carbon rod made for spinning reels using sort plastics.

DR
10-01-2007, 11:01 PM
i went to buy an exceller, seem pretty good value, i made the mistake of looking at the tierra & thought' this is better' i then did a foolish thing & looked at a Sol, i was scared to go any further so i left with a sol.. lovely reel..
but if i didn't keep looking i would be the proud owner of the exceller & happy with it..i am still going back for one when i get a bit of spare cash.

fish_on
11-01-2007, 04:05 PM
for the price one of the best value reels out there retailing around the 150 mark. wont have any dramas. your other option is save the extra 100 and buy a tierra. it has the 5 year warranty, air bail and the extra bb. other than that reels are very close. i just had a mate buy the 1500 tierra and loves it

Matthew_Stotty
11-01-2007, 05:01 PM
Hey its matt again, thanks a lot for all this information i think im going to buy an exceller it seems good for the money and looks a great reel...ps: the daiwa sol is awesome but to expensive for me!

Goodoochaser
14-01-2007, 07:40 AM
Hi Stotty,

I am a little slow getting this post off but if you have'nt bought your Exceller already I can say go ahead, it is a good little reel for the money.

I purchased one 2 weeks ago for a spare reel, I had not had time to try it out untill yesterday apart from some basic tests in the back yard.

The reel shares a lot of the features found on the much more expensive Daiwa range of reels without the high price.

Comparing it price wise to say the Daiwa Hardbodyz Kaster model which sold for the same price it is very good buying. I have owned 2 Kasters for the last 3 years, both of which have seen a lot of work, I think this reel may be the replacement for that range of reels.

Some of the changes and inclusions are :- 6 bearings 2 of which are CRBB, Digigear (improved gear build process, very smooth) much improved machined crank handle, Titanium lipped spool with much larger drag than the earlier series reels and a spare alloy reel.

I spooled mine up with 20 m of 6lb mono backing then filled it with 4 lb Finns Braid. Fitted to my 7ft Shimano T Curve it flicks light weight plastics and lures flat and accurately.

To test the drag I tied the line to the fence and wound the drag up as I walked backwards down the yard, this fully loaded the rod and the drag released smooth and even.

The real test yesterday. Same rig but with a 2 meter 12 lb leader tied to the Finns and light spinner bait I went to the local dam, I new I was possibly under gunned for the conditions and this proved to be the case.

I hooked up on a Cod in the weeds and after about 5 mins he won and the 4lb Finns let go at the leader, I nearly had him but in playing with the drag which proved to be as smooth as the earlier test in the yard, he got to deep into the weed and a sideways run undid me.

The Cod was estimated around the 50 to 60 cm. A fair test for a rig intended for soft plastics on Bream and Bass.

The only problem that I noticed while playing this fish was a slight flexing of the Bail arm at the roller and the bail pulling forward a little but I was pushing the limits.

I re-rigged with a soft plastic but did no good. Changed to my baitcaster with a white spinner bait and landed a small Cod later in the morning.

Hope this helps have fun.

Howard (The Goodoochaser)

Goodoochaser
14-01-2007, 08:00 AM
Stotty,

Small Cod caught later, sorry not too clear a picture but this is what I was chasing to try the Exceller out on, and this size it would handle no problems at all.

I may fill the spare spool with 6lb Fireline and try the whole thing again as I am not to sure and confident in the Finns braid yet, I noticed it seems to start parting very quickly in its fibres at the connection to the leader, may have to try some different knots.

Cheers Howard

Matthew_Stotty
14-01-2007, 02:05 PM
Thanks for that, but yes now I have bought it, its very nice and I had a go with it a couple of days ago at white patch, though the fish that I caught didn't really challege the exceller that much, they are just so smooth and as Howard sayed before the drag is excellent. Thanks for the information Howard. I would show you mine if someone could help me on how to put them on here it just wont work for me?

# # # # # # #Thanks Stotty (Matt)

Matthew_Stotty
14-01-2007, 02:11 PM
C:\Documents and Settings\aucarolines\Desktop\PICT0784.JPG Here it is!!!

Matthew_Stotty
14-01-2007, 02:15 PM
[C:\Documents and Settings\aucarolines\Desktop\PICT0784.JPG]

Sorry here it is if this doesn't work i really don't have any clue!

davo
15-01-2007, 12:03 PM
I have the 2500 Exceler and agree with all prior posts. I use mine on snapper in the bay so it's had a lot of soft plastic work. The only problem I had was that the drag washers weren't oiled correctly and became sticky, once lubed properly no problems. So check the drag washers as they are a felt type material and don't like the dry operation.

Matthew_Stotty
15-01-2007, 10:18 PM
Hey thanks for all this information, but has anyone tried the spare spool u get on the exceller because i feel just that little bit nervous that i could put it on wrongly and stuff every thing up, if anyone has used it could you pls tell me if its fairly easy? I just don't wont to break it!!!

Thanks Stotty! ;D

davo
16-01-2007, 12:11 PM
All the time. No problems. Only the dry drag issue.

Goodoochaser
16-01-2007, 05:06 PM
Stotty

Just keep backing off the drag knob, anti-clockwise, the spool will come away easy off the spindle. Slide on the spare spool turn to aligning the flats on the spindle shaft, the spool will slide down into position then replace the drag knob tightening in a clockwise direction, Easy you carn't go wrong.

Howard.

Matthew_Stotty
16-01-2007, 08:50 PM
Thanks Davo and GooDoochaser, I just tried it, its amazingly easy only takes a couple of seconds thanks a lot, now I just have to chose what kind of line I want on it? :-?