PDA

View Full Version : SE Qld Fishing Report - August 20

Nugget
24-08-2001, 01:20 PM
Big breeding female flathead have been slowly working their way towards bar entrances and river mouths over the past week for their annual breeding period.
Glen Baker caught and released a crocodile size flathead estimated at nearly 7kg on a live whiting from the Logan last week and several fish between three and five kilo have been reported around the moored boats at Rudy Maas marina.
They should be congregated along Kalinga Bank and Short Island within the next week however floating weed is still a major problem throughout the Pin and southern Bay to the point where it is almost impossible to troll lures.
These fish are producing future flathead so please release them unharmed.
Sunshine Coast guide Bruce Cooper reports the best snapper season in 20 years off Wide Caloundra.
Many anglers are easily catching their bag limit in a few hours and some of the fish are nudging the 10 kilo mark.
Our waters have not been quite as productive but there were some nice snapper caught around the Deep Tempest area during the Straddie Classic and a good feed of squire around the Harry Atkinson.
Having just spent a week in the surf on North Stradbroke Island I can report there are good quality tailor in gutters between the Dunwich track and the Pin bar.
The choppers were averaging a kilo and fish around the two kilo mark were common although the fish caught in the bar itself were a smaller class.
There have been excellent catches of whiting from the western side of Moreton Island around the Sand Hills and at Reeders Point.
It’s a given that a handful of worms and a few hours of fishing will fill the esky.
The Seaway turned up a few jew over the weekend.
Drifting the current line off the end of the north wall using live mullet on the first of the run in tide in the late afternoon was the best technique.
There were also a few caught by fish a live bait on the pipeline during the turn of the tide.
The Brisbane Boat Show and Fishing Expo is only a month away.
Don’t miss the great line up of displays and activities on September 19 – 24 at the Brisbane Convention Centre.
ENDS
Dave Downie ><>

Fitzy
24-08-2001, 01:57 PM
Hi Nugget,
Heard ya dropped a big lizard at your feet on whiting gear during the straddie comp. This correct? If so how big & would it have been good enuff to take out a prize?
Keep this up & I'm gonna start callin you Randall!!! :-*

Fitzy

Nugget
24-08-2001, 03:41 PM
Mate - it was a meter plus - at least.
I had two rods out and - you guessed it, it took the wrong bloody outfit!
My mate Glen Baker wasn't far away and he landed one 7kg - it was the fattest fish you have ever seen - not quite a meter long but I reckon it would have to have been rounder than Mal Meninga's thigh!
To be honest I doubt I would have weighed it in anyway - you have to kill them to weigh them in and that would be hard for me to do.
Glen chose to release his fish - with a tag.

104cm is my PB - I'm going for a record this season.

Dave ><>

Fitzy
24-08-2001, 04:10 PM
My PB on flathead is 108, actually broke it twice in a night in the Nerang on live herring a few years ago.
You know the spot. :-X
Time is right for the big bitches to be here. ;D

Fitzy..