PDA

View Full Version : Cairns Fishing Report

Fishcairns
15-09-2001, 02:22 PM
:) Weather update

Nature has mysterious ways and just like the flick of the switch the Cairns region has undergone a transformation from winter to pre summer mode. The winds have shifted to the north – northeast, the seas are currently like glass, the air temperature has jumped several degrees to almost thirty and the fish are on the bite in a big way.

Rivers & Estuary

What a transformation – big barras are chewing their heads off on the prime tides as are good quality mangrove jacks, trevally, queenfish, grunter and flathead. Some of the best estuary and river fishing seen for ages is currently underway and it will only get better for the next few months.

Plenty of succulent prawns are about for the cast nets but remember that in possession limits do apply. Most mud flat zones will produce these prime baits at low tide with both the estuary and the Daintree River full of them at present.

The Hinchinbrook Channel region is really starting to fire. This huge protected waterway offers superb fishing and since the closure to commercial netting a few years ago the increased quality of the fishing, and of barra in particular, is very pleasing to note. One local angler reported trolling up six barras from 85 to 102 cm late one afternoon recently, many more healthy specimens were lost with their acrobatic jumps throwing the hooks. Guides are reporting landing on average 15/20 barras a day along with jacks, trevally, cod, queenies etc.

The Reef

Well I can certainly speak from personal experience here; the fish are on the chew. We left them biting after a few hectic sessions on big and small mouth nannygai, at one stage the skipper was actually hand feeding pillies to the fish at the back of the boat - right in front of his Japanese clients - who were suitably impressed. These fish will rise to the surface following their hooked schoolmates and selective angling to chosen fish is possible. Trust me, I have actually done it!

Coral trout are not so numerous; pressure from the live export trade regularly blamed for the declining numbers of this much sought after species. The usual sweet lips, long nosed emperor or red throats make up the balance of the catch along with the stripies, various trevally and moses perch.

Blue Water / Game Fishing

Well its hard to believe that the marlin season is already upon us with the first tournament of the season, the Townsville Billfish Challenge, getting underway last Sunday 2nd September. Kim Andersen aboard New Moon III tagged and released three blacks on the first day to lead this prestigious event. The tournament was eventually won by Reel Chase with New Moon III coming second. The first monster black has already been seen if not landed, a skipper on a light tackle charter out of Port Douglas reported hooking one estimated at 800lb. This season is shaping up as one of the busiest for years so get in quick if you want to land a grander.

Have any readers ever tried chucking poppers at reef bommies for monster G.T.’s!

Well I did it one day last week while on the Townsville trip – WOW what a buzz! Being bricked by 20/50lb trevally is something else I can tell you. I still have the bruises in my stomach / groin area from the rod butt jammed up hard during the fight. These fish must be one of the hardest fighting fish in the oceans and pound for pound give a fight to be remembered, even if it is just for the sheer exhaustion, aching backs, legs, thighs etc. experienced when dealing with these magnificent fighters. Ten fish in a day is about all I can cope with. If anyone would like to see a few picks of these fish just drop me a quick line and I’d be happy to oblige.

Sydney Sport Fishing Expo

Fishing Cairns is proud to support this new and exciting event to be staged from Friday 12th October to Sunday 14th October at the Super Yacht Marine Precinct, James Craig Road, Rozelle Bay (Sydney). For a full run down on events and exhibitors check out www.fishexpo.com.au

General Info

Please note that the annual closure for the taking of Barramundi in the waters of the Gulf of Carpentaria i.e. the western side of Cape York commences on the 9th October 2001 and runs until 1st February 2002. This is different to the east coast closure, which runs from 1st November to 1st February annually.

See you on the water.

Regards, Les Marsh

Luke
15-09-2001, 02:41 PM
G'day Les,
I'd like to have a look at some of those photos.Sounds grand up there.I'm heading to Hinchinbrook same time next year and your report makes me want to come up now though unfortunately its not possible.
Cheers Luke

Brett_Finger
17-09-2001, 04:22 AM
Les,
Mate a great report,wish i'd never moved ;D
great to here the place is starting into the summer fishing!!!
Hookin, Brett