PDA

View Full Version : "GOLDENS" of Somerset

craigie
25-09-2001, 12:49 PM
Hi Fishos,

I was fortunate enough to spend last Saturday at Somerset Dam, fishing with a good mate.

The morning session found us at the bottom end of the Dam, working over the steep, rocky areas as well visiting the "Hump" looking for schooled Bass. We Lured up a few small models but nothing like the Mega size fish that everyone seems to be talking about.
After a pleasant lunch at Kirkleigh Camp ground, we headed to our favorite snag at the top end of the Dam. This particular location has produced Golden Perch on a regular basis and Saturday it just fired on all cyclinders.
With the Minn Kota at almost top speed and the Boat aimed into the wind (howling at 25 knots), we cast deep diving Hot Lips into the sunken timber.
The score for the short session was 3 Yellows landed, 3 lost at the side of the Boat, 4 "Follows" that showerd us as they performed a high speed U-turn and disappeared back into the murk. Then on two other occassions we got "Bricked" big time and made sacrafices to the Lure Gods.
The best fish caught was 48cm, others we saw were much bigger !!!!

Keen as mustard to get back there at the completion of the Flathead Classic.

Cheers
Craigie,

P.S. I saw a dead Bass floating in the water that would have measured 55 - 60 cm, it was huge !!!!

Steve_Kanowski
26-09-2001, 02:53 PM
Well done Craigie, was up at Somerset myself on Saturday and know all about the wind,try casting a flyline into it.Picked up 7 Bass in the morning on the flats,but by 9.30 am they just shut down.The bigger schools seem to be dispersing a bit now,and could only pick up small patches of them on the sounder.If anyone knows we,re there gone post a reply.

craigie
27-09-2001, 11:04 AM
G'day Steve,

7 Bass for a couple of hrs is very respectable fishing.

I had a chat to the Ranger at Kirkleigh last Saturday Arvo. He had a theory on finding Schooled Bass by looking for the vast flock of Pelicans and Shags feeding on the Bait fish. Apparently the Flats out from "Queen St" were recently inundated by these Bait fish and Birds and the Schooled Bass follow and join in the Frenzy !!!!
I did see this frenetic, flocked behavour, North of Kirkleigh. It would have covered a couple of Football Fields. Maybe I should have thrown a few Lures around the edges of them. The Ranger thinks that the Bass still hang around after all the Birds have moved on.
Who knows ???

craigie.

Smithy
28-09-2001, 01:38 PM
Was at Somerset myself on Saturday. What boats do you guys fish out of? You can't miss mine. 12' Eggcracker with a 25hp Merc called "Katana". We did allright in the morning but struggled in the afternoon. Mornings have been best before the wind makes thing hard.

craigie
29-09-2001, 05:05 AM
G'day Smithy,

That was my first trip to Somerset this year, going up again on Thursday 4th of October. My boat is a Clark Kakadu 4.6(white) with a Mariner on the Back and A Kota on the front. It's the one that looks like it could do with a good clean !!!!

I'll keep an eye out for "Katana", should catch up with you at the "golden Lure" comp all going well.

Cheers
Craigie

Steve_Kanowski
29-09-2001, 02:55 PM
Smithy
Saw your boat Katana,fished beside you on the flats in the morning.I was in a 4.2 SeaJay with 40 horse Yammy on the back waving a flyrod around.I did alright in the morning when it was fairly windy,it was when the brief lull came through at about 8.30 that things seem to shut down.As for what Craigie said about the birds there was a few shags working around the edge of the flats that day,was also picking up what looked like some pretty big schools of bait,on my sounder,but may have just been "noise",I,ve only had it a while and am still learning to use it.

Smithy
01-10-2001, 06:40 AM
I'll say g'day next time I see you on the water now I know your boats!