PDA

View Full Version : Cairns Fishing Report

Fishcairns
09-10-2001, 06:44 AM
8)FISHING REPORT

Hi Guys!
Just a very quick update on things tropical.

After a fairly windy period of about eight days the weather Gods are smiling on Tropical North Queensland – and boy do we need it.

Tourism in our neck of the woods has gone through gut wrenching times before (i.e. the pilot’s dispute, cyclones etc) but no one could have been prepared for the double whammy effect of the tragic events in the US and the demise of Ansett Airlines.

Our sympathies go out to all who are suffering, the US victims, the volunteers, the survivors and the people – as well as the staff adversely but differently effected in Australia.

One strong message to come from all the chaos is the need to work together; to help our fellow citizens and above all things, try to resume normal lives. This will get the economies back on track and show the world that we do live in a peace loving, caring, prosperous, humane world where the joys of travel (and fishing) are an integral part of our well being.

Rivers & Estuary
I fished the Daintree River late last week and had a ball late in the day on the making tide. Nearly every snag had a few mangrove jacks, not monsters but great fun on light spinning or baitcasting rigs. We tossed gold bomber lures and shad raps and landed eight fish in a few hours just on dusk. Next day was similar with plenty of medium sized barra about, best spots to try are the overhanging mangroves. Good-sized tarpon are about and are taking jigs with gusto; other active species include flathead from the sand bars and medium trevally.

The Hinchinbrook Channel region is producing excellent fishing. Trolling deep diving lures around some rock bars is producing quality barra to 90cm + while an added bonus has been the arrival of the highly prized fingermark. One monster landed went 9.6kg (over 20lb) and she was not alone. These are some of the best eating fish you could ever wish catch.

The Reef
Charter skippers just love fishing after a blow. Not only are the fish active and hungry, but the lack of fishing pressure over the previous few days gives the hard fished reefs a bit of a spell. Small mouth nannygai are about in numbers with a few big mouth and red emperor thrown in for good measure. A late run of spanish mackerel is also a bit of a surprise.

Blue Water / Game Fishing
The big blacks have arrived – reports of up to four shots a day on fish of 400-700 lb and a few over the magic 1,000lb mark have been sighted. They are following the schools of tuna; yellowfin, longtail and macks, which are great sport on light, tackle themselves. Wahoo are also out wide with one fish of 50 lb landed – not much sport on 130lb-gear thought!

Cape York
What can I say, we are entering absolute prime time to fish the Cape. The pre wet season period heralds increased activity in the rivers, creeks, tidal estuaries and near shore blue water. The guides are very keen to show you some of the best fishing in Oz, give us a call and we’ll put you in the picture.

From barras, jacks, cod, trevally and queenfish up the creeks to tuna, monster G.T.’s, golden trevally and tuna in the blue water to some of the best salt water flats fishing available – its all go – a fly fisherman’s paradise.

See you on the water.
Regards, Les Marsh
http://www.fishingcairns.com.au

Brett_Finger
09-10-2001, 07:13 AM
Les,
once again mate you have me kicking myself for leaveing the place,hopefully will be back in the run-off!
thanks for another great report from the tropical North.
Hookin, Brett

Brett_Hoskin
10-10-2001, 07:23 AM
Yep the fishing at Hinchinbrook Channel was pretty good. Last week we caught Barrra, Queenfish (on a Finger tied Fly), and monster flathead within a stones throw of the Lucinda boat ramp.

Had a good few days at Flying fish Point and picked up some estuary cod, Spotted and Spanish Mackerel and Julie picked up a 39 cm Jack..............thought she was snagged!!!!!!!!!!

Any reports on Tinnaroo??

Big fella... bumped into a bloke at Lucinda who told me about a bloke called Mud Cod.......do you know him...

Cheers Brett and Julie

Brett_Finger
10-10-2001, 03:41 PM
Brett,
Mate say hi ti rob for me (The bastard) and congrats to julie for her great jack!!!
Hope you are haveing a fat time with the fly-fishing mate >:(
Tinnaroo is fishing ok, Harro is there at the moment and when rang me last night he informed me that he has taken two good Barra this week,a 30lb fish on a soft plastic on his first cast and a 44lb fish on sunday.not suppriseing for this great fisho!!
Shaun Ash is up that way as well and has reported good fish on the wand with a Huge jack to his credit!!! ;D

George Voisy is fishing Peter faust dam at the moment and gettting some truley huge Barra, the faust Barra Comp kicks off on thurs and there wil be some great fish taken this year for sure,am spewing that i'll miss it this year.
also some mates are at H/Brook this week nailing some great fish,just what these southeners need ;D ;D

take care keep in touch,
Hookin, Brett

Jim_Linden
10-10-2001, 04:08 PM
G'day Brett(s) - boy, this is getting confusing!

Brett H - was about to give you a ring to see how you were going, but now I know. So you finally cracked it at Lucinda, eh? You sure that was a monster flathead near the boat ramp? When we were there they had another kind of large lizard hanging around the boat ramp - guess you'd know the difference though - the other type would be a bugger to fillet ;D
Did you get the Barra up in Dungeness Creek, round in the Herbert, or just out in the bay? You're making me bloody jealous you know - I was thinking real serious about trying to make it up there before the season dogs off, but got the in-laws coming next week - I'd much rather stay here and look after them :(
Got a new mono cast-net at the Brisbane boat show - very similar to yours - and you'll be pleased to know I took your advice and got the nine footer. Haven't thrown it at anything yet./
Say Hi to Julie for us - look forward to hearing more of your adventures (at least it hasn't rained this time!!).

Hey, TBF - what the hell you doing down there, with so much going on up there ????

Cheers
Jim Linden

Brett_Finger
10-10-2001, 04:37 PM
Jim,
a means to an end my good man,a means to an end ;) ;Dtake care mate and say Hi :D to Cindy!!
Hookin,Brett