PDA

View Full Version : Cairns Update

Fishcairns
17-10-2001, 06:49 AM
8)Hi Guys,
This will be very brief - hell I'm off to get into some of the action!

The weather is absolutely brilliant - clear sunny skies, light breezes - it was 6 knots on the reef yesterday - starting to warm up a bit though and approaching the thirty degrees mark.
Conditions that our prime fish targets just LOVE.

Reef Fishing
Peter Todd of Aqua-Cat reports that the coral trout are on the chew. They are very active and in pre spawning mode so please observe bag and size limits. These fish are just the best on the table, no wonder they command such high prices at Asian restaurants. Small mouth nannygai and red emperor have dropped off though while we are having a late run of big spanish mackerel - fish to 37kg being landed.

The River
If you know where to find them the barras are on the chew - one guide landed 22 from a southern river last week, now that's great fishing, along with jacks, trevally, flathead, tarpon and fingermark. The Hinchinbrook region is still happening.

Blue Water
With FIVE black marlin over the magic 1,000 lb mark being tagged and released last week alone, two by our good mate on New Moon III, you could say things are red hot out wide. Shots of five / six big blacks a day are being reported. Action aplenty from the tunas, macks and wahoo also.

The Cape
How does 48 mangrove jacks in one day sound - if this appeals - now is the time! This report from Weipa.

That's it - I'm off to Trinity Inlet to catch a feed of barra before the closed season starts in a few weeks time.

Catch you on the water
Regards, Les.
www.fishingcairns.com.au

Brett_Finger
17-10-2001, 03:36 PM
Les,
geeee thanks mate ;D please say hello to toddy from me. would love the be out false cape at daylight,nail some Barra for me.
Hookin, Brett

Steve_Ooi
17-10-2001, 03:37 PM
As Les has stated plenty of good fish are around at the moment.
Over the last couple of days sight casting opportunies with barra have been about with fish up the creeks,rivers and out on the beachs, with some nice fish up around the 15 lb mark cruising around.. the head land are starting to fire as well.
Some big tarpon have been around as well with a mate of mine taking one that just went 6 1/2 pound..nice fish
The clear water at times can make the fish a little spooky and the need to down size the lures and flies and leaders is need to entice a strike,,with accurate casting up in the back on the snags producing good results..and sinking flies deep in the structure....

Steve Ooi