PDA

View Full Version : Sooty Capital of Qld

Simon
06-11-2001, 10:46 AM
Just returned from Mackay chasing big black dinner plates, landed my fair share saw a few more and lost even more again.

Lesson one :P :P

standard bass gear will work :obut you will lose alot of fish, mostly from straightening hooks

Lesson two :( :(

Don't expect to buy good quality chemically sharpened trebles in the area let alone for anything smaller than barra.

Lesson three

Start with spinnerbaits until you get sick of catching them, if thats possible, then experiment with other methods. white is a good colour to start with.

Everything they say about the area is true Sooties Sooties and More Sooties.

Eungella
Very nice dam had alot of fun casting blindly to the tree clusters for some good fish. I have never seen so many spangled perch or caught so many for that fact. Sightfishing a fairly good option. couldn't land a fish on fly but they love small fat albert hybrids, longest fight lasted 5 sec.

Kinchant

Fish behave like Bass except the schools aren't as big in the open. Back of the dam has some of the best sight fishing I have ever experienced. water vis crystal clear and caught more fish than any of the other dams combined playing in the weed holes etc. the fish weren't as big as the other dams

Teemburra

Only fished it once because of the HP restictions. once I found the fish they were from 43 to 48 cm. But were fairly fickle with more follows than bumps.

For anyone wanting a fishing trip that can offer every style of Fishing Mackay is the place to go.

Cheers

Simon.