PDA

View Full Version : Lake Awoonga Barra

Dale_T
03-11-2001, 07:09 PM
Just returned from Awoonga Dam today after a five day
fishing trip with a team of seven anglers led by Greeny.
Total Barras caught= 122, most were between 60 - 69 cm. Highlight of the trip was a 99 cm. Barra I caught on a Rmg Scrpion estimated weight of 35-38 lbs, the fish was Thick and fat, it took a few minutes to revive the fish before release. Popsy (the human tackleback)also caught a 98 cm. barra during this trip using a very popular lure- the one that starts with G and ends with R . Most fish were caught by casting shallow divers into the edge of weedbanks.
All of the Barras fought hard and dirty, many were lost into the sticks. These Barras are in excellent condition with thick sides and powerful build.
Highly recommend Lake Awoonga if you want to tangle with a Barra only 7 hours drive from Brisbane. And this place is one of few where you could swim with Barras without being eaten !!

Dale T

Fitzy
03-11-2001, 07:27 PM
Great stuff Dale.
Which Greeny? I know about 50 of em. Am way overdue to hit Awoonga again, might just kick it up the priorities list after reprts like this!! :D
There's over 1.5 million reasons been released there why Awoonga should become the barra capital of Qld.

7 hours from Brisvegas? I do it in 5 1/2 - 6 normally.

Cheers,

Fitzy..

Brett_Finger
04-11-2001, 02:24 AM
Dale,
very good mate!! great to here that the place is fireing.as yo know i'm am a keen Barra man and for a mere 6 hours drive north it's great to get into some fantastic fishing.caps must go off to the groupe responsable for stocking this impoundment,it's rapidly makeing a name for itself as a premier Barra fishing destenation.
now if the local stocking groupes around bris-vagus could only get permission to stock the fantastic sports-fish in the local impoundments.or at last trial stocking in A impoundment.
i'm sure the support from locals and local /business would be overwhealming.
Hookin,Brett

Katrina
04-11-2001, 03:51 AM
;) Gonna book a site today for boxing day plus four days! Yeah! Can't wait. Visit the oldies for Christmas in Gladstone, then escape to awoonga!

Dale_T
04-11-2001, 06:05 PM
[quote author=Fitzy link=board=Reports&num=1004706367&start=0#1 date=11/02/01 at 23:26:48]
Fitzy, as to your question:
"Which Greeny? I know about 50 of em"

The one and only Dr. Green of GCH

"7 hours from Brisvegas? I do it in 5 1/2 - 6 normally"

Yes, it took seven hours after stuffing around roadhouses trying to decide amongst ourself which magazine to buy; Ralph, FHM or Sport.

Fitzy
04-11-2001, 06:48 PM
:D :D
Fair enuff, gotta have reading material I suppose. When I hit the road its no stopping for nuthin. I really hate driving these days, done far too much of it. If I could load the boat on a semi at a half decent price & fly to NQ I would be there avery month.

Fitz

Cremated_Reddog
06-11-2001, 07:24 AM
:D :D
Fair enuff, gotta have reading material I suppose. When I hit the road its no stopping for nuthin. I really hate driving these days, done far too much of it. If I could load the boat on a semi at a half decent price & fly to NQ I would be there avery month.

Fitz

Fitzy, get it ready I'll drive you fly meet you there, love driving can't do enough, have done my fair share of it over the yrs but still love it. Last time me and 2 mates went for a drive we were going 500mts to get a drink come home a week later and had done 5500kms in 7days, so no probs about gettin that damn boat to NQ

Jack_Lives_Here
08-11-2001, 03:35 AM
G'day Dale,
I've eyed it off a few times heading further north. They got camping facilities at Awoonga I guess??? Can you have a pooch with you?? Might be a good option after xmas.

Jack

Katrina
08-11-2001, 01:44 PM
;) No woofing creatures allowed there, sorry. There is a caravan park with powered/unpowered sites and the usual facilities. Haven't been there yet, but will be there from Boxing day for a few days. My parents live in Gladstone, and they reckon it's a nice spot.