PDA

View Full Version : Goldcoast Report

Heath
14-10-2001, 05:52 PM
Fished the canals of the coast on Friday night. We were using live poddy mullet as our target species was Mangrove Jack & Jewies. At around 20:00 we had a run on a small livie. I hooked up, but the bugger took me around the rocks. Almost certain it was a Jack :'( Reset the baits for another go. At around 20:30 my oldmans rod started screaming. This thing had about 50 meters of line out & he played the fish for around 5 mins, with the fish having screaming runs. He was making good ground when the blooy fish took him around the same rock >:( Ahhh well..... Around 22:00 my big mullet got wolloped, a short powerfull run & then it dropped the bait before I could get to my rod. The mullet come up all scaled JEW for sure. So I sent another decent poddy out. 23:00 I pulled in to check my bait, the bloody mullet was scaled again without so much as a noise from the reel. It was late so we packed up & went home. We had planned to return tonight, but the bloody wind has come up, so we will have to wait now. ;)

dsh111
23-10-2001, 07:11 PM
Sounds like fun. I've had the good fortune to net 1 jack, from about 30 outings, and am yet to net a jewie. Any info you could offer to increase my strike rate would be greatly appreciated. I have a boat and live on the Gold Coast what areas do you suggest? How do you rig these livies for jacks and jews? Any advice that would put another jack or my 1st jewie in the boat would be much appreciated. Thanks. ???

Heath
24-10-2001, 11:37 AM
No worries dsh111

Just drop me an email from your pop email & I give you some info.

Always a bit suspicious of anonymous people :-/

Heath
19-11-2001, 04:04 PM
Headed out this morning to be greeted by good conditions. We didn't even get time to stop the engine or even have a line in the water before we were on to our first fish. ;) My mate had hooked up to something big & needed to chase it, we were close by, so he handed the rod to us & took off & fought the fish. It turned out to be a 44LB Longtail Tuna. What a freight train!!!!! After we landed it we gave him his rod back & finally got to anchore up. Aftewr an hour or so berlying, we had several hits on our lines, before I hooked up. A tough fight ensured & after 25mins or so, a 40LB Cobia was boated. We were back at the ramp by 8:00. :D :D :D
It was a great day!..................

Maverick
22-11-2001, 03:44 PM
Heath,

I'm sort of in the same boat as the dsh111. I haven't fished the Gold Coast (canals or offshore) at all but now that I'm in Brisbane I plan on doing exactly that. Friends have told me that there are good jacks to be caught in the canal, but I don't know exactly where to start looking. Any help would be appreciated.

PS. I found your web site very helpful

Heath
30-11-2001, 07:01 PM
No worries Maverick

Just drop me an email from your pop email & I give you some info.

Always a bit suspicious of anonymous people :-/