PDA

View Full Version : Hmm. Big, BIG Barra

Jason_L
30-09-2001, 07:23 PM
If anyone knows the Causeway Lake, in between Yeppoon and Emu Park (on the coast from Rockhampton, QLD), then u will know that u can catch barra from the bridge.

Only about 2 weeks ago a 40lb barra and a 20lb something barra came outa that Lake.

I wasn't told much, I think the 40lb'er was caught on live bait and the other was caught on a lure of somesort.

Just thought i'd share this information with everyone, thought you would all be interested.

Steve_Ooi
01-10-2001, 02:49 AM
That two nice size fish there. :)...40 lb wonder how long he's been in the lake....
That lake is pretty shallow all around isn't it......?
Barra have seem to started firing all up the coast...
Anyway, good stuff

Cheers Steve Ooi

Jason_L
02-10-2001, 02:22 PM
yeah. unfortunately it's very shallow.. I'm told it gets down to about 3 metres about 20m away from the bridge, so there is a big hole there and that is where they prolly hide out.

I was going to go down today but i don't have any lures at this house for barra, so i guess i'm just forced to buy more. Lifes tough. hahaha.

I'll get down there later this week and give it ago around sunset. just put new line on my reel so i don't have any excuses if i let the big one get away...

If anyone has any favourite lures they use for Barramundi can you post them up... That would be great... thanks.

Brett_Finger
03-10-2001, 03:16 AM
Mate,
eazy, B'52's (gold) and Gold Bomber's!!!
slow the retrive as much as possiable..and twich a heap to increase flash!!!
with the bombers take off the middle trebble (leave split ring on) and get rid of the split ring ring off the tow point,also chang remaining trbbles to VMC tripple strength and split rings to 4x halco. this will, give you a better than adverage chance of staying connected!!
Hookin, Brett

Luke
03-10-2001, 06:17 AM
Brett,
when you say take the split ring off the tow point are you meaning tie main line straight to the lure or putting a halco split ring on the tow point?
Thanks Luke

Luke
03-10-2001, 06:26 AM
Hey Bf,
Nice Jack I seen in the local rag. How long you been back down here?? How do you do it man? Anyway good on ya!
Luke

Fitzy
03-10-2001, 06:44 AM
Brett,
# # when you say take the split ring off the tow point are you meaning tie main line straight to the lure or putting a halco split ring on the tow point?
Thanks Luke

Luke,
Get rid of the split ring on the tow point & tie your leader direct to the tow point. One less connection that can fail. Can use a loop knot to help with action.

Fitz

Luke
03-10-2001, 07:23 AM
Thankya Fitzy :)

Jason_L
03-10-2001, 10:57 AM
I ended up buying a Killalure. The design is like a Spearhead in the Nills Master range

The colour of the lure is bright pink with a bit of black on it's head.. Fingers crossed it works for me

Brett_Finger
05-10-2001, 03:33 AM
Jason,
mate i have used those before up cairns and had good sucess with then as well.
thay will double for a good jack lure.
stick with the few you find out work or you'll end up like me and have 500 bloody things ;D
the worst thing now is i have to get some more for fishin fresh water...cool!! 8)
hookin, Brett

Zahly
07-12-2001, 05:05 PM
hey
i go fishin at the causeway too. it is fairly slow fishing but ive caught a few decent fish. Mangrove Jack, Barracuda on a Halco trembler, Cod on a Halco Scorpion 68 and a couple other fish. I havent caught a barra yet and ive only seen one ever been caught there, and it was a fluke, a couple of ppl were pulling it in cause the line was tangled. well tell me what you catch and how
catch ya later

Zahly