PDA

View Full Version : Muddys

OBRIEN
29-11-2001, 09:13 AM
my family and i have moved to fig tree pocket in brizzy and as there is water round this pocket and being a fisherman,well natually i had to see what lives in it, to me brisbane river looks filthyer than the thames back home but never the less my boy and i checked it out,first bait and a catfish of 2kg then a solid hook ,pull like a schoolboy spool job then ...ping ,no chance on 2kg string! out came the 10kg and gang hooks ,stout leader and another hook up ,15 min latter and 4 foot shark .pleasently surprised i was! both fish were returned none the worst for there trouble .these fish are not the most sort after fish in aus, however if it can pull off a bit of string then im happy!any way, i dont often kill fish to eat but mudd crab is a different story ,wylst fishing i spotted 4 muddys in the 15cm class round the mangroves and pillers what i want to know is since most people i talk to say the brizzy is about as clean as a sewer are they right and most off all can i eat them??????????OB

The_Walrus
29-11-2001, 04:04 PM
Catch & release is a good habit when it comes to the Brisbane river.

Catfish and sharks are probably your most consistent targets although depending where you fish, other species such as bream, whiting, mullet, bass and others are available.

At least a few sharks is a good way to fight the fishing blues.

Luc

Katrina
29-11-2001, 04:31 PM
;) We used to do a bit of the crabby thing along the Chelmer reach of the Brisso, we used to get some good size crabs (about 8 years ago) was yukky river then too, didn't stop my husband eating them. We also used to get some big shrimpy things akin to Cherubin. I ate them, hey we're still here. Probably about as bad as the chemicals that are in the rest of the food we eat!!!

Luke
01-12-2001, 10:38 AM
Obrien,
have to agree with Katrina on that. I have a mate at Hamilton who regularly catches bream and lizards on his doorstep aswell as muddies and eats them. The stuff we eat is caned with all sorts of stuff not to mention the air we breathe in this city. Anyway visited my mate in hospital the other day-just had one of his heads removed. ;)
Cheers Luke

adrian
01-12-2001, 12:33 PM
if you try down near the mouth of the brizzie river you can more likely be able to eat what you catch as the tidal water change mixed with bay water at least it looks a little cleaner .

I don't think it at all wise to eat what is in the river but if you catch that 3 eyed fish get a pic for all to see ;) ;) ;)

Anzac

shano
10-12-2001, 07:49 AM
i have fished the brissie river for quiet some time now and the fishermans island part i have eaten the fish and crabs from there and they have been fine remember the trawlers used to go up and down that river at one time so the fish/crabs you used to eat from the shops could of came from there ;D

Brett_Finger
10-12-2001, 10:41 AM
Shano,
good piont ;D
Hookin,Brett