PDA

View Full Version : Cressbrook Report

sav
18-12-2001, 05:50 PM
Cragie and I fished Cressbrook Dam very late Saturday afternoon and early Sunday morning. It rained on and off but very little wind. Caught 26 bass but only 9 were over the 30cm - some up to 40cm. All the larger bass were caught trolling deep diver lures. Smaller ones were caught on shallow lures in the shallows.
No luck at all on sliders.
Still pretty enjoyable - pulling in a fish every 15 minutes.

Saturday night no different - every time we go to Cressbrook it rains - spent the night sleeping in the kitchen shelter.

Happy Fishing (and xmas/new year and all that stuff)
Sav

Katrina
19-12-2001, 06:18 PM
;)Sounds like you had a good time. We headed out there in October, and had no luck. It was quite windy, and we only got about two hook ups and no fish in the boat. If you could give us a few hints as to where to try it would be much appreciated. It's a beautiful dam, and I would love to go there again. We just had a bad luck day I think - flat tyres, servo's where the air pump doesn't work, forgetting the kids life jackets, whingy kids, motor problems, no fish. I hope next time it' s better!!!

sav
19-12-2001, 06:52 PM
Katrina
Hang in there. At least the facilities are up to taking the kids - plenty of spots for bank fishing / basketball/ volletball etc.

Cressbrook will always have its off days but we call it the "guarentee bass dam" for those Brisbanites who have never caught a bass.

If you ever want to head there for a weekend (and thats what you need to do - early morning and late afternoon), make it known and I'm sure you will get the info from this site re. the best technique for that particular time - and they vary depending on the time of year,
Happy fishing
Sav

Smithy
21-12-2001, 06:30 PM
Sav,

You should consider investing in a downrigger for trolling in Cressbrook. The little Scottys and Roberts are pretty inexpensive and you seem to fish it a lot. The Bass in Cressbrook sit the deepest of any I have seen in SEQ except for Boondooma in winter. If you are worried about pulling them up from the depths you can re-attach them to the bomb, drop them back to the depth you pulled them from, then release them. In the BASS comps they needle them like you do for releasing reef fish but if you let them go straight away they should dive back down to the depth they came from.

Smithy

sav
25-12-2001, 06:27 PM
Smithy
Thanks, I agree the bass do sit deep in Cressbrook especially during summer months. We get our lures down to about 25ft+ with deep divers on fireline out about 30m.
I'll check the downriggers out (esp price) next time I'm in town.
Regards
Sav

Chris_J
27-12-2001, 06:12 AM
Hey sav

I'm a Toowoomba local and fish Cressbrook aleast once a week and i have taken to trolling UD65 boomerangs on 4lb fireline for that extra depth that is required at times.

I have been stuffin around with a few things. Last Tuesday i was jiggin softys with very slim pickings and so i decide to try trolling some Slider 3 inch grubs on a 1/4 ounce head and had a great session in the end pullin around 20 legals to 49cm.

And you're not the only one that when u decide to camp it rains. Old Murphy at his best :-/

CYA ON THE WATER

CJ:)

sav
02-01-2002, 05:03 PM
Hi ya CJ
Like your tip on trolling slider grubs at Cressbrook. I was told that on a recent Cressbrook trip of cast and retrive with sliders, on a very slow electric drift, a guy who couldn't cast decided to drag his weighted slider behind the boat. Apparently he caught his fair share. Maybe missed the thrill of the cast and hit but always another option - it seems.
Regards
Sav

Chris_J
02-01-2002, 06:37 PM
Hey sav

it is just that-another option. I must agree with i prefere to cast and retieve any day. but when time are tought it is handy to have something different in the box of tricks. have u been to cressbrook lately? i went to Cooby today for a hour and got 2 nice yella but that was about it.Anyway catch ya on the water.

CJ

Wishin' I was Fishin' ::)