PDA

View Full Version : Jan 7 SE Qld fishing report

Nugget
06-01-2002, 10:36 PM
Finally the mackerel have increased in the Bay with spotties taking chrome slugs worked in a fast retrieve or pillies in a berley trail and a few schoolies caught from deeper in the water column.
Best reports have come from around the Four Beacons and the Rainbow Channel but the usual haunts of the Spitfire Channel off Bribie and down the western side of Moreton are also producing fish.
Southern Bay anglers still have a chance – I met up with Barry Wade at the Redland ramp during the week and he had four good quality spotties that he said came from the stretch of water between Coochiemudlo and Macleay Islands using a floating pillie after a fair bit of berleying.
Most reports are indicating that mid week is definitely best as the fish are shying away from the hordes of weekend boat traffic.
There is also a good chance of a feed of reef species around the Bay island shallows; Anthony Wishey and Mick Laps caught a good feed of squire and sweetlip in the shallows of Peel Island over the past few weeks and several anglers have reported lots of undersize fish mixed in with the occasional legal sweetlip from the Wellington, Cleveland and Ormiston Point headlands.
Sandies are still in good numbers throughout the Bay with reports indicating the deep water it still the best option.
If the Bay is too windy, Pumicestone Passage is also having a great season for sand crabs north of Donnybrook.
The number of river whaler sharks caught in the Logan has slowed up over the past week with whiting and flathead on the edges of the sand banks making up the majority of the catches.
There are lots of fish stealing sharks throughout the Pin however, Fred “Touchy” Wood landed a meter plus hammerhead from Cobby Passage on light gear and several anglers have reported sharks taking their fish around the Pin bar.
On the freshwater scene, Wivenhoe Dam is in the middle of a hot bass bite: Fred Preston landed a 66cm bass last week, (measured by me) and other anglers are reporting record sizes and numbers.
ENDS
Dave Downie ><>

adrian
08-01-2002, 02:04 PM
also heard that sweetlip and some snapper off brays reef at caloundra reported to me by the boys at inshore offshore on sunshine coast
anzac

Fisherman02
13-01-2002, 12:09 PM
you guys got any info on the Brisbane river down at davies park?

Nugget
13-01-2002, 11:18 PM
Where is Davies Park - you'll have to be more specific.
Fitzy is the king of the River - he knows it better than most.

Dave ><>

Fitzy
14-01-2002, 08:22 AM
Hi Nigget,
Only know it from the top of the tidal stuff upwards. From the muddy water down I wouldn't have a clue. Can catch catfish & sharks any day, that's 99% of what you'll catch from Moggill Ferry down to the City reaches where it starts to pick up again for estuarine species.

Fitzy..