PDA

View Full Version : Hervey Bay Fishing Report

mossy43
22-01-2002, 09:11 PM
It has not been the best of weather over the last couple of weeks but the future looks bright. Burrum Heads has been a little quiet with some whiting and flathead around the boat ramp and the mouth of the river. The Burrum River will provide you with a feed of trumpeter at the moment with the odd mangrove jack and salmon however you will have to work for them. There are still plenty of mud crabs around as well but you will have to sleep with your pots. River Heads at Hervey Bay has been quiet as well and the mud crab situation is the same plenty of crabs but sleep with your pots. Fish wise the bream and grunter are on the bite along with some whiting and flathead along the sand bars. Down in the straight has been a different kettle of fish as the whiting and flathead have been in good numbers and the mangrove jacks are a common sight in the icebox and the mud crab are plentiful as well. The local reefs have been fishing well early in the mornings for coral bream, squire, cod, parrot and some very nice sweetlip. Kingfisher has provided people with some nice pelagic fish mainly tuna and mackerel with some whiting, bream and flathead in the shallows. The flats on the southern side of the Picnic Islands has shown signs of some large trevally and GT’s of late and will most certainly be worth a try over the next week or so. The Urangan pier has been another source of whiting and flathead like wise with the local foreshores at Torquay and Scarness. The Urangan pier has also produced some very nice trevally and the odd mackerel. Up along the island the shallow reefs and artificial reefs have been fishing exceptionally well but be-careful there are a lot of big sharp teeth amongst them. The spotty mackerel are thick from Rooney’s to Station Hill and even further back into the bay. The Southern Gutters on the days they have been fished due to the weather were producing some very large fish including reds, cod, cobia, trout and sweetlip. The deeper reef around Rooney’s are fishing well when you can get the right weather as well. The eastern side of Fraser Island has been very quiet due to the amount of weed in the water however the whiting and dart are in reasonable numbers at Indian Heads and the gutters near Happy Valley and around the Maheno. If you have any club information you want people to know about or a fishing competition or event as well just email us with your information at info@fishntales.com and we will place it on our coming event’s page for you free of charge. Our website is only small at the moment but is becoming very popular with people from all over Australia and around the world so visit us and let us know what you think. http://www.fishntales.com Cheers Mossy

Wesley_Pang
23-01-2002, 03:33 PM
Mossy,

Thanks for the report,

I've add your web site to my favourite.

I've been getting up to Urangan when ever I can. Mostly targeting Goldern Trevally and Tuna on fly. The tailing Golderns are just awesome, some of the best sight-fishing I've ever done.

I went up to Rooney's for the 1st time a fortnight ago. Its a fair way up there. Saw heaps of large Mac Tuna, but not much mackeral or Longtails.

Do you get some Giant Trevally up there, or do you call Golderns - GT?

The forecast for this weekend is windy too.

Wes

mossy43
23-01-2002, 04:35 PM
Wes we do get a lot of GTs up this way mainly around the Picnic Islands, which would interest you. There are also some very large Golden Trevally and many pelagic species in this area as well when in season. This is also an excellent spot for spinning for bream, flathead and many other species as there is rock all around the islands and sand and mud banks out from there. The best position is just around the corner on the Northern end of the Northern Island towards river heads but this also depends on what style of fishing you would like to do. This area mentioned above is a brilliant place to sit using live baits or using surface poppers and of course fishing the flats is different again. There are some very large sand flats that run back towards river heads with a channel which runs between the two islands and gutters dissecting the sand bars in many places as you will see if you have a look at a local chart you will see what I mean. The chart you will need is Boonlye Point to Hervey Bay. You can find the odd school up at Moon Point Bank or Pelican Bank as it is locally known as but this is not a common occurrence. Another place, which is frequented by the GT’S, is a place called the 8-mile off Burrum Heads. You mainly get the large golden trevally and the occasional GT but either way it is good fun. #The mackerel have been quiet thick from Rooney’s down to Station Hill but you only need a small northerly up there and it makes them very finicky. When you are travelling up along the island and you are looking out for the mackerel it is good to keep about 5 to 6 miles off shore and keep looking for the your birds, as they will tell you where they are. Another spot especially for mac-tuna is around pelican bank as a lot of bait congregates in the deeper waters on the mainland side. On occasion in the shallows on the moon point side you will see trevally chasing the bait but they get a little hard to see because of the white sand. I hope this has helped you in some way Wes if you need and more info please email me at mossy@fishntales.com . Cheers. # # #