PDA

View Full Version : Turkey Beach / Awoonga

rollsy
23-01-2002, 07:27 AM
Have just returned from a weeks sojourn to Turkey Beach for some Beer , Bourbon, Brotherhood and Barramundi ;D with 4 of the bretheren from work. The first two dominated along with the wind. Despite what look like a thousand mile a very fishing country we caught very little 14 fish the first day and not much else, although the wind did average over 25knts for the trip, crabbing was excellent although like most places keeping an eye on your gear is a must as someone up there likes to empty the pots including your bait for you when you are not around. Whilst up that way we made a couple of trips across to Awoonga also with little success ( we'll none actually :'() but a very good learning experience for next time. talking to the Rangers we picked a couple of very ordinary days as there were very few fish tagged out on either day. Big thanks to Lucky Phill for the pointers on Turkey, what few fish we did get he put us onto.

craigie
25-01-2002, 07:16 AM
Hi Rollsy,

Sounds like you were at Turkey Beach the same time I was there. I was staying in a rented house across from the Boat Ramp Car Park. Near the house that had the big Blue Trawler in the yard. Very reasonable rates !!!!

Yes, it was blowing It's head off the whole time, which made it difficult to do everything we wanted to. Caught a few Estuary Cod up the back of one of the many creeks that run through the place, but overall the fishing was poor.

The Crabbing potential of the place is awsome !!!
I counted about 6 Pro Crabbers working the area where we had our Pots. We didn't catch a heap of Muddies but enough for a feed or two. Sounds like the same Crab thief got to our gear as well. All the pots were de-baited and the bait holders and metal hooks had also been removed . Filthy Scum !!!!!

Keen to go back and have a bit more of a look around.

Cheers
Craig.

Jack_Lives_Here
25-01-2002, 12:07 PM
I did a trip from Turkey out to Fitzroy with a mate that has his boat stored up there. My mouth was watering at the potential passing me buy as we headed out. Always wanted to return to flog some of those creeks with lures. Were you using bait or plastic??

Craig - that rented house, can you give me the number to call so I can book. Do you know if can have a pooch there - she makes a good deckie.

Jack

Lucky_Phill
25-01-2002, 05:03 PM
The bloody weather mateeee !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know what you mean. >:(

Don't give up on the place just yet. It will produce fish. As you say, it was a learning experience. That place will fire in the winter months for Bream out the front of the boat ramp on those oyster banks.

I am planning a trip to Pancake Creek for later this year. Same sort of area, but I have a lot more " offshore " access areas to go to. The Flathead are in plague proportions up there at times, in the delta sandbars. Can access the mouth and camping grounds by 4 x 4, so I'll be towing the little tinnie right in there.

Thanks for the wrap in your post, and was only too glad to help. 8)

craigie
26-01-2002, 09:32 AM
Hi Jack,

The Estuary Cod were caught on Live BAIT and slab baits. Had a few too many people in the Boat to be tossing Lures around but I did have some onboard for a bit of a troll !!!

Cheers
Craig.