PDA

View Full Version : Upper Brissy River

Fitzy
27-10-2001, 06:24 AM
Fished the good old Brisso River (private proerty access) with big Brett Finger a few mornings ago. Got onto a few 50+ slack jaw perch ....I mean bass on spinners & minnows.
The big fella got smoked by an absolute horse on its second run, actually it straightened out the hook on his 5/8th Harrys spinner. ;D The Saturday before we both got into some good bass & both got smoked by a couple of fish again.
Some good fish in this river still, yet the turkey shoot below Mt Crosby Weir is now over as the fish are a bit more educated now.
Another local in the know has again got onto a couple of Mary River cod (on bait) to 8 kgs.

Cheers,

fitz

Steve_Kanowski
30-10-2001, 02:09 PM
Love to see some of these scret spots of yours Fitz, was the big fulla still using his 50 pound braid and crow bar or is he starting to get educated to southern style.

Fitzy
30-10-2001, 02:29 PM
Hi Steve,
The big fellas slowly coming round to our sort of gear. He's down to using 30 bionic braid & you can actually pull a bit of line of his reels these days. #:o ::) :P :-*
No secret spots mate, just beeen fishin that river for a long time now & just know where the fish are at different times & whats works best (for me anyway). It's all public water, but I use private property just for security on the old ute. :D

Cheers,

Fitz

Travis
30-10-2001, 04:55 PM
Hey Fitz,did you finally get the Big Fella to get the pliers out and loosen his drag or has he really gone the lighter gear,
l bet you he still was using his 8 kg stick,his forearms must have gone soft whats he been here to long already. ;D

Fitzy
30-10-2001, 06:34 PM
All these perch are sending him soft. Gonna have to get him down the salt & get into a few trevors or something. :P :P

Brett_Finger
31-10-2001, 03:26 AM
oh dear god yes! take me to the salt!!!!! ;D
altough the country you have to fish is quit butifull an i must admit those perch :-X i mean bass have a bit of grunt in the first few seconds for sure 8).
as forthe gear yes Trav i am still useing the Strudwick TPS 6-6kg.don't want the perch getting to much on me.the moungral that straightned out the spinny thing had some serious power!!! would have loved to nail that sucker !!!!
thanks fitzy for takeing me to you part of the world,truly a fantastic spot.
Hookin, Brett

Fisherman02
13-01-2002, 12:20 PM
hey guys
I fish down at Davies park well actually a bit further up but I walk down there everyday and all i'm catching there is catfish and baby catfish :-[ and as it is a 6km walk down from Highgate hill I cannot then walk up to the Estuary. Well I guess I could but would you want to ??? Anyway I was wondering if you could help me out and say what type of bait I should be using at the moment i'm using a DCA EY 3000 which is actually working well for me and i'm using prawns as bait. I'm also thinking of getting a crab pot problem is I don't know how to handle and then kill the crabs could ya give me some advice?
cheers jack :)

Katrina
13-01-2002, 03:42 PM
;D Either chuck yer crabs in the freezer, or into a pot of boiling water!!!! Handle them no more than necessary - they have big nippers!!!! LOL

babumouse
21-01-2002, 01:57 AM
Hello and good day to all, i am a 23m fishing freak from Singapore and will be studying in brisbane in feb. Are there any kind souls that can give advice on the salt/fresh water fishing ard the brisbane waters? As i am new to brisbane, i do not know the transport system well, hopefully there is some fishing ground near to my university(university of queensland) St lucia campus. In singapore, i do mainly light tackle lure fishing using baitcasters or spinning reel. The fish spieces in singapore is the same as those found in northern queensland, we have queenfish, barramundi, jacks and for freshwater, we have peacock bass, carps, and sometimes the rare sarratoga in reservoirs. I am hoping to land some bass/sarratoga in in brisbane...so any fishos care to help?

Please visit this singapore fishing forum if you are interested to know more abt fishing in singapore http://forum.coolconnect.com/forum/13/start.cgi

Regards and tight lines always!!!

robgps20
26-01-2002, 04:07 PM
Hey Fitzy,
Do u reckon u could give me some info on where abouts the tarpon are in the brisbane river? I will most likely be targeting them with small soft plastics.
Cheers
Rob

Fitzy
26-01-2002, 04:56 PM
Hey Fitzy,
Do u reckon u could give me some info on where abouts the tarpon are in the brisbane river? I will most likely be targeting them with small soft plastics.
Cheers
Rob

Hi Rob,
Can find tarps anywhere from the junction up to the old Mt Crosby Weir. Kookaburra Park are is a good place to start lookin fo em.
Head upstream from there abou the top of the tide (is only 6 knots max upstream from there. Get em in quick B4 the sharks get em.

Let us know how you go.

Fitzy..