PDA

View Full Version : pumping jetty report

shano
16-01-2002, 12:24 PM
sunday night tried the luck on the pumping jetty. well one thing i know for sure is the tailor is still on the chew!!caught 21 all up six were keepers best went 45cm rest were over 38,others returned lots of smaller tailor out there.also heaps of big dart was caught on prawns.top night good to see that the tailor is still bitting! ;D
# # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #cheers shano!
here is the pic of them not to clear!http://supacarzandhogz.5u.com/images/choppers.jpg

Brett_Finger
17-01-2002, 03:48 PM
Shano,
mate sounds like you had a great time,good fighting fish the tailor. have you ever tryed getting them on the fly-rod? real good fun ;D ;D
Hookin,Brett

Smithy
18-01-2002, 05:50 PM
Here is a challenge for you guys fishing the sand pumping jetty - chase juvenile Black Marlin. The other weekend about 6 came off the Wave-rider bouy in front of main beach. This is about 200m outside the shark nets. A mile off the Seaway is as good as anywhere for the bills at the moment.

Brett - When are you taking the offshore barra boat out after them? The ones they got of the bouy were sightcasted to with liveys. Have to be a good bet for fly. Guy on Pakula site had 4 come up behind his 12' tinny the other day. Didn't get a strike but they were sniffing around.

shano
19-01-2002, 11:48 AM
yes tailor are great fighting fish but no brett have never tried them on fly i imagine they would go off big time

Luke
20-01-2002, 08:27 AM
Hi Smithy,
never been Marlin fishing so know nothing about it but do they get in any closer to the Jetty. Like I mean could you take a game rod and reel down there and set a balloon out in the right winds? I f it's possible what sort of rig would you use for a livie or do these guys only take fast moving baits and would you be more likely to take sharks??
Cheers Luke

hungry6
27-01-2002, 06:37 PM
i've caught jew and mack tuna from the jetty but never seen a marlin before you sure they weren't dolphin you saw?

Smithy
29-01-2002, 06:34 PM
Live Yakkas floated out with a 150lb mono trace/leader would be the go. Marlin are livebaited all the time. Probably 80-90% of the Billfish caught off the Sunshine Coast are livebaited.

Luke
30-01-2002, 02:40 AM
Thanks Smithy,
One more mate. Are they all year round?
Cheers Luke

shareenc
30-01-2002, 06:27 PM
smithy seen two blackmarlin free`jumping 50 meters out of the end of the southwall a few weeks back while spinning for tailor and trevally . seen a black caught in the seaway afew years back it was about 80kgs . i have hooked large spanishmackerl while fishing off the north wall while fishing for tailor . haven`t seen any blacks over there yet but have seen huge blue fin tuna over there around the 150kgs chasing bait. cheers col.

Smithy
01-02-2002, 05:44 PM
Now is the peak time and they will probably all be gone on the close grounds by May. Heavy Tackle (Out over the shelf) fish are present all year round.