PDA

View Full Version : Tuna - SEQ

Smithy
07-03-2002, 06:15 PM
For all you flyfishermen and Sportfishos out there the Tuna have hit SEQ. We fished the Trench then up off Caloundra on Friday and the Bribie Shipping Channel on Saturday. Heaps of pelagic action of all types off Caloundra but only had success on Mack Tuna. Longtails were present as well but the monster size fish were working the Western side of Moreton from the 4 Beacons to Combie.

thunnus
07-03-2002, 06:33 PM
Any billies in the trech smithy?

cheers, justin

Smithy
08-03-2002, 06:06 PM
One bit of bait near Neverfail. With the big tides that weekend there were good current lines down the western end near the Pocket and further north. Bit hard to distinguish bait from current on my sounder down that end but we didn't get a hit for the day. The Western end looked good just before Christmas. They are the only two times I have fished The Trench this season. Only did about 3-4 hous of trolling but this time. We were there for a tide change and Marlin O'clock (2:00 p.m.). Strika and a big blue rig with Tuna Tower were the only other boats out there. They were working more to the north. Had heard there was a bit of a bite on at the 55m line a few weeks ago. We were fishing the Brisbane Sportfishing Club Interclub Comp on the weekend. Three other boats fished the Trench Saturday morning before the SEaster kicked in for two possible billfish strikes. Should be some Sails around by now. Feb - March used to be a traditional time in the Trench. Hutchies was going good as is traditional for this time of year.

Brett_Finger
11-03-2002, 02:55 AM
Smihty,
Mate sounds like ya been haveing a ball on the Tuna ;Dsome of the biggest Longtails i have ever seen are going offf here at the moment and it's fly-fishing heaven ;D
a few small Blacks are also sniffing around but the big winds are keeping everyone in. :'(
Hoookin,Brett

Wesley_Pang
11-03-2002, 05:24 AM
Smithy,

Thanks for the reports, keep them coming in.

Why is it there is always a strong wind warning every weekend, and 10-15 knots on Monday?

There's always next weekend.

Wes

Smithy
12-03-2002, 06:04 PM
Brett,

Having the month of May off to do a course in Bundy. Plenty of days off in the middle of the week. We will have to catch up. Looking at bringing the 15'er up and getting into a bit of action. May should be good for fish and weather.